Nectar coming in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Checked my 3 hives at home 2 are building up and have plenty of room but are bringing in nectar and pollen by the bucket load

Thd other hive is on brood & 1/2 and is packed full of bees with lots of brood.... they have loads of nectar coming in and pollen. I nearly put on a super but with the colder weather next week thought better of it. Did I do right?

I would say yes, they won't be collecting nectar at 6 degrees next week

If they are near Cherry Blossom then whilst it is warm/sunny they should be foraging well on it, two of my colonies are busy on a them at a Network Rail site.

Checked my 3 hives at home 2 are building up and have plenty of room but are bringing in nectar and pollen by the bucket load

Thd other hive is on brood & 1/2 and is packed full of bees with lots of brood.... they have loads of nectar coming in and pollen. I nearly put on a super but with the colder weather next week thought better of it. Did I do right?

That's what I am wondering too about one of mine on double brood that is becoming very heavy and jumped straight onto comb building when I put a comb to be drawn into top box. The cold weather particularly the cold nights put me off!

Hi again Simon,
Thanks for the heads-up. My super is going on tomorrow as the colony in question had 10 frames with a lot of capped brood and an additional three had just emerged! Not a lot of stores, but I bet they will be packing it in tomorrow!

Hi again Simon,
Thanks for the heads-up. My super is going on tomorrow as the colony in question had 10 frames with a lot of capped brood and an additional three had just emerged! Not a lot of stores, but I bet they will be packing it in tomorrow!

Agree, The weather is looking promising next week. I'm putting supers on 4 colonies tomorrow also.

All my colonies bar one have queen excluders and empty drawn supers on. Bees need overnight parking space as well as space to store nectar.
Worth remembering they concentrate their heating efforts on keeping the larvae warm, not the hive.

All my colonies bar one have queen excluders and empty drawn supers on. Bees need overnight parking space as well as space to store nectar.
Worth remembering they concentrate their heating efforts on keeping the larvae warm, not the hive.

Thanks BF. Most of mine has to draw some comb as well so I prefer to keep them crammed until the right moment which in my infinite wisdom is today!

Most of mine winter in single boxes so it’s keep them crammed until the second broods required. Those that need the space will be getting them this Sunday with a current forecast of 20c.

Did not put the super on as weather did not turn out as originally forecast. I prefer to overwinter on one brood too, but got stuck with a late unite!

I fitted single and double supers on my colonies as the temperatures are going up tomorrow and get to 20c full sun from Sunday and most of next week.
Double super for one colony which is on double brood box and 8 frames already fully capped!!!
Other ones could have waited a bit but the confinement makes me plan in advance! So single super for now.

Back