NBU warning doesn't this happen every year.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
I've just noticed that the NBU have put out that colonys are using stores up and to make sure we are hefting, weighing hives etc.
The post also says to access for varroa as mite levels are rising due to queen's still laying.

Im wondering as I've had more queen's having brood breaks are they making up for it now?

Isn't this just a matter of cause and we do this anyway?

Im noticing that colonys are getting through stores.

Last edited:
I've just noticed that the NBU have put out that colonys are using stores up and to make sure we are hefting, weighing hives etc.
The post also says to access for varroa as mite levels are rising due to queen's still laying.

Im wondering as I've had more queen's having brood breaks are they making up for it now?

Isn't this just a matter of cause and we do this anyway?

Im noticing that colonys are getting through stores.
Yes it'll be the warmer weather.

I was waiting for somebody to post this
We have been talking about having to feed our bees for weeks....and yes it's the warmer weather....and yes it makes sense to revisit varroa ( Mine have had another round at the beginning of this month)
It makes you wonder if the NBU get SAGE advice from this forum and from bits of Facebook and Twitter before they meet up and finally issue a statement.

We have been talking about having to feed our bees for weeks....and yes it's the warmer weather....and yes it makes sense to revisit varroa ( Mine have had another round at the beginning of this month)
It makes you wonder if the NBU get SAGE advice from this forum and from bits of Facebook and Twitter before they meet up and finally issue a statement.
It does make you wonder indeed.
The NBU should take note of this forum its the best one in the UK.
27,000 members most days there's 2/300 members either looking or posting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a comerardary on here which is homely, supportive and has some of the most experienced beekeepers in the world.
Most don't even know it.

Ps I got the members count wrong it's 17,000.

Last edited:
The difficultly I’m having is convincing my bees to keep apart. I’ve got them landing on the left of the board and leaving on the right, but they’re refusing to stop huddling. What can I do?
I contacted the authorities and a Mr Chris Witless told me unless they comply, they’ll be banned from any pollination until next June.
(Its a real shame as they can’t see where they’re flying with their muzzles attached. (Took me AGES to get them all fitted).)
So currently they are not getting the remaining ivy pollen as flying blind, but Sainsbees have made a couple of deliveries recently, but just dumped it outside the hive.

The difficultly I’m having is convincing my bees to keep apart. I’ve got them landing on the left of the board and leaving on the right, but they’re refusing to stop huddling. What can I do?
I contacted the authorities and a Mr Chris Witless told me unless they comply, they’ll be banned from any pollination until next June.
(Its a real shame as they can’t see where they’re flying with their muzzles attached. (Took me AGES to get them all fitted).)
So currently they are not getting the remaining ivy pollen as flying blind, but Sainsbees have made a couple of deliveries recently, but just dumped it outside the hive.
Good one, Poot
:ROFLMAO:

As I said in another thread, although I have been topping up fondant regularly for the last month or so there are still some of mine who refuse to store it and just keep munching it! Over this period I have been putting on about 1-2kg/week and they have been emptying the containers and not seeming to get any heavier.
I'd rather keep putting it on than lose a hive to starvation!

As I said in another thread, although I have been topping up fondant regularly for the last month or so there are still some of mine who refuse to store it and just keep munching it! Over this period I have been putting on about 1-2kg/week and they have been emptying the containers and not seeming to get any heavier.
Absolutely👍

Are you putting the container over a hole in the crown board? I’ve added some in a small container and the bees are ignoring it. Would it be better to roll it out on grease proof paper and rest it on the queen excluder? I worry that my hefting is not very good so have put the fondant on just in case.

There's a comerardary on here which is homely, supportive and has some of the most experienced beekeepers in the world.
Just shut your gob and stop posting tripe you gardener you .... :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::nono::boxing_smiley::grouphug:

There you are ... just like old times ...

You need to paint IN and OUT on the front of the hive ... and I can sell you (for a very modest amount including postage) my Patent Pending Perspex landing board divider ... guaranteed separation for those like you that are unable to train their bees to maintain separation.

Just shut your gob and stop posting tripe you gardener you .... :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::nono::boxing_smiley::grouphug:

There you are ... just like old times ...
Never! never! will I stop posting tripe.. But honest tripe all the same.
Im a two bit Gardener by the way:laughing-smiley-004:party-smiley-050: so the mother-in-law said when I was courting her daughter.

Last edited:
You need to paint IN and OUT on the front of the hive ... and I can sell you (for a very modest amount including postage) my Patent Pending Perspex landing board divider ... guaranteed separation for those like you that are unable to train their bees to maintain separation.
Don’t tell it lifts and separates too.....

Don’t tell it lifts and separates too.....
Ah ... you need the engineered version with the revolving doors .. ensures that the bees don't get too close on either the In or the Out side of the Patent Pending Perspex Landing Board Separator .. it is available but obviously is considerably more expensive ...

Never! never! will I stop posting tripe.. But honest tripe all the same.
Im a two bit Gardener by the way:laughing-smiley-004:party-smiley-050: so the mother-in-law said when I was courting her daughter.
That's a real insult isn't it ? Couldn't even bring herself to brand you a threepenny bit gardener ! She should be more careful ... in your profession the opportunities to bury the evidence under the patio come along too often ...

Latest posts

Back