NBU Statistics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just looking at the NBU statistics for England with a county breakdown.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmhansrd/cm081126/text/81126w0026.htm

Total beekeepers = 15,972
Total colonies = 79,537

Figures provided by Jane Kennedy, Minister of State (Farming and Environment) in a written Parliamentary Answer 26th November 2008.

Doesn't seem to tally with the 274,000 colonies and 40,000 beekeepers quoted elsewhere. I know one is England and the other U.K. but you would still expect similarity. :confused:

Interesting to read through some of the other stuff that Jane Kennedy dealt with.

But what really upset me. They gave the "county" figures for "Hereford and Worcester" combined. Don't the fools remember they abolished H&W in 1990 after only 16 years of existence. I thought it was only the BBC who hadn't heard.

Chris,

Thanks for the link. It was most interesting.

Chris B said:
But what really upset me. They gave the "county" figures for "Hereford and Worcester" combined.
It probably just means the database was first set up when H&W existed. As it's not meant to be an up-to-date guide to English counties - just a database to show the regional spread of beekeeping - they probably think it's not worth the bother of changing it just to be politically correct.

The difference between these stats and the larger figures often quoted is explained in the text above the table - it's down to the voluntary registration that this table draws its data from. As it says, the actual figures will be a lot higher.

Interesting stuff, though - thanks for the link.

Ray

Last edited:
they probably think it's not worth the bother of changing it just to be politically correct.

Don't they realise Thornes only allow 14 characters for the county name on their honey labels:mad:
Wars have been started for lesser things!

The difference between these stats and the larger figures often quoted is explained in the text above the table - it's down to the voluntary registration that this table draws its data from. As it says, the actual figures will be a lot higher.

I don't know why I didn't spot that. Thanks, it makes more sense now. It does suggest more people are willing to voluntarily register their details with the government than join the BBKA. Now that is interesting.

Back