Natural varoa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks not been on her for a while. I read somewhere using rhubarb leafs on top of the frames helps with varoa treatment

Who knows, but beware old wives tales even if they are not that old. I can only say I have never tried it and therefore have no evidence.
E

Hi folks not been on her for a while. I read somewhere using rhubarb leafs on top of the frames helps with varoa treatment

I have never tried it.
I suspect it doesn't work, or works as well as a banana skin on the top bars.
If you do a Facebook search for this subject you will find quite a few threads on it; all entertaining, most closed from overheating :)

I know rhubarb leaves contain Oxalic acid but can't see how they would have any effect on the varroa.Could be a late April Fool joke.

I bet that that is not approved method. You will be in jail.

In our country law is such, that if some one encourage to do a crime, he will get the same punishment.

Rhubarb fool is the best use for rhubarb.

Seems to be an old chestnut that regularly resurfaces. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to work. :)

You have to dry them out in the oven then make a little fire with them under your open mesh floor.:rolleyes:

Now ... as it happens I have a huge surplus of dried rhubarb leaves this year and I could supply as much as anyone would want - for a small consideration of course ... indeed, looking at my rhubarb at present I could probably supply half of the fools who think they are any use in varroa control with fresh leaves ! PRICES ON APPLICATION ....

at present I could probably supply half of the fools who think they are any use in varroa control with fresh leaves ! PRICES ON APPLICATION ....

How did that cd scratching disc and bee gym you bought for your varroa control work out?

How did that cd scratching disc and bee gym you bought for your varroa control work out?

The bee gym appears to work to some extent - there is always a pattern of varroa drop on the inspection board just below where the bee gym is sited on the mesh floor. Having said that ... I don't think it adds much - so whether it's just that the bees move across it and in doing so the tapes remove the mites or whether they deliberately scratch the mites off by using the bee gym - the juries out.

The CD disc covered in cement film ... Brilliant - Works every time, absolute magic, just like the Rhubarb leaves, fairy dust and dancing round the hive at midnight chanting Mites Out Mites Out Mites Out to the tune of Auld Lang Syne - How many would you like ? Holes in the middle of them are FREE as well (special offer) - £5 a go to forum members postage £1.30. Discounts for 10 or more ...

:iagree:
http://www.beespace.me/rhubarb-bees-and-varroa

Through my University connections I managed to source the original paper that I had a Polish chap translate for me ( Our local DPD driver from a Beefarming family in Poland!)

I have been using the method.... hardly a comprehensive test but our MSc student carried out a dozen or so stickie board Varroa sampling on untreated Italian bees ( in BHS Polly Nationals) to ascertain a normal drop. One colony had a drop of 20+ compared to 2 and < 5 over 24 hrs. This colony had had a rhubarb leaf that must have blown off of the compost heap and found chewed up on the qx.

I have also heard tell that a 3% Oxallic Acid solution made up in VIMTO has a similar knock down on Varroa as the now banned Hiveclean had.
(3g OA made up to I00 ml with the concentrated fruit drink.)

VMD Licenced OA products are available to beekeepers in the UK

Yeghes da

Most treatments that work well are derived from plant extracts so you could consider them as a natural treatment.
As finman quoted ; it is illegal to use anything but veterinary approved medicines.

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/ProductInformationDatabase/

Shirley... only if your bees are kept in the UK?
The Poles are banned from using non natural treatments during the bees honey collection time... hence rhubarb leaves?

Yeghes da

:iagree:
http://www.beespace.me/rhubarb-bees-and-varroa

Through my University connections I managed to source the original paper that I had a Polish chap translate for me ( Our local DPD driver from a Beefarming family in Poland!)

I have been using the method.... hardly a comprehensive test but our MSc student carried out a dozen or so stickie board Varroa sampling on untreated Italian bees ( in BHS Polly Nationals) to ascertain a normal drop. One colony had a drop of 20+ compared to 2 and < 5 over 24 hrs. This colony had had a rhubarb leaf that must have blown off of the compost heap and found chewed up on the qx.

I have also heard tell that a 3% Oxallic Acid solution made up in VIMTO has a similar knock down on Varroa as the now banned Hiveclean had.
(3g OA made up to I00 ml with the concentrated fruit drink.)

VMD Licenced OA products are available to beekeepers in the UK

Yeghes da

From the op quoted reference

Because of the conditions inside the hive, the leaves don't dry out but slowly releases oxalic acid in a gaseous form which circulates around the hive.

My initial reaction is very much a sotto voce "yeah sure".

Any chemists care to comment?

That issue has been asked in this forum 10 years ago. If it true, why it is not in normal usage then.

Oxalic acid powder. Is it volatile? Why it needs heating that it becomes gas and then condensates onto surfaces.

Why don't you put pure acid powder into a hive and let it release slowly into air without dribbling and heating.

Have you heard that lettuce or carrot releases oxalic acid into room air.

One of the best method is however "do nothing" . But it kills lots of hives in USA.

It has been noticed that it is acidity which kills in oxalic acid. Killing rate must be 96% that it is usefull.
So 4 mites will be alive out of 100.

If killing rate is 80%, after treatment you have 20 mites alive, five times more than compared to 96%.

Recent methods have been tested carefully during many years'. And then somebody here and there invents a new system, and he tells, that it works.

And about those mite resistant bee strains... How much we have read about them and how good they are. But researshes tell that they do not work in practice.

But if you want to make own science, just do it. The most serious it is then when you are at the age of 80.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back