Native bees and wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a Melitta tricincta? Went to a bland stocked lake today. Caught plenty but no real fun. Was down at Bury Hills Fishery near Dorking earlier in the week. That was more picturesque, tactical, less fish and more fun.

Was out fishing today and little beauty landed on my jeans, had a good old clean and then flew off. It looks like a bee to me but I can't id it. Anyone know?

Andrena dorsata - one of the mining bees.

Could be a Melitta tricincta? Went to a bland stocked lake today. Caught plenty but no real fun. Was down at Bury Hills Fishery near Dorking earlier in the week. That was more picturesque, tactical, less fish and more fun.
oops- my guess as to your bee wasn't quite right then Steve. The River Mole round Dorking looks interesting but I think its all club waters.

Thanks Kaz. I’ll keep looking and trying to identify.

Keep at it. Having a try yourself is the best way to learn.

Some pointers - Andrena have a pair of grooves at the side of the eye (facial fovae) which are more obvious in females and although dark in this image you can just see a slight change in the dark in that area where the dark, velvety hairs line the fovae.
Abdominal banding and colour of the scopa or pollen collecting hairs helps too as well as the colour of the hair on the thorax (buff, foxy, does it have contrasting hairs at the sides etc).
If you can see the wings the shape of the 3 submarginal cells are indicative too of genera.

Get a copy of The Field Guide to the Bees of Great Britain and Ireland by Steve Falk. Keys to all British bees (or most anyway, new species are being added to the species list all the time) but it is hugely helpful to learn the morphological aspects of each bee with tons of other info too.

I spotted this in the garden, the other day. Any idea as to what it may be? Looks wasp family like.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 3F4C8384-1278-48C0-AAD5-25FDF96AF8B8.jpeg
    3F4C8384-1278-48C0-AAD5-25FDF96AF8B8.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 16
How do your Echinops look so vibrant? Mine don't have that lovely blue hue, more a dull purple. ;(

With regards to Wasps, I had a mating pair land on my shoulder yesterday in the garden. Common Wasps, is it a bit early?

How do your Echinops look so vibrant? Mine don't have that lovely blue hue, more a dull purple. ;(

With regards to Wasps, I had a mating pair land on my shoulder yesterday in the garden. Common Wasps, is it a bit early?
The plant is a Sea Holly. Not sure which, as our puppy loves pulling out the labels and destroying them!

Bit worried.
My bee hotel had about 40 Mason bees using, holes all blocked with mud, as usual. But a month later none of the blocked holes have been opened by the bees inside. And not escaped at the back as on a wall.

Latest posts

Back