Nationwide abandoned hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last lot of hives I purchased were 'abandoned'.

They hadn't been touched for 2 to 3 years. The previous owner was too old and frail to get up to them, but he knew where they were, and what was there. Family had no interest in them. He wasn't in the local association (can't say I blame him, they act like its 1954), and he didn't list them on beebase.

Had someone tried to list them as abandoned, or muscle in and take them, he wouldn't have known. They were hidden away on private land. However, if this had happened, it would probably have led to a police report for theft. As this country doesn't have a 'finders keepers' law, anyone who removes anything without the owners permission is committing theft. Just because something looks abandoned, you don't always know the back story.
If you find "lost property", you take it to the local police station. If it's not claimed, they return it to you.
So if you find half a dozen apparently abandoned hives, take one in, appropriately sealed, and tell them you'll be returning with another five.

Worse is the beekeeper who throws 4 supers on in march and takes them off in august. 2 visits a year and the rest of us have to deal with the swarms and efb in the area. That's not abandoned just reckless.
Or possibly the ones that do that but know only too well their bee's are diseased.

The last lot of hives I purchased were 'abandoned'.

They hadn't been touched for 2 to 3 years. The previous owner was too old and frail to get up to them, but he knew where they were, and what was there. Family had no interest in them. He wasn't in the local association (can't say I blame him, they act like its 1954), and he didn't list them on beebase.

Had someone tried to list them as abandoned, or muscle in and take them, he wouldn't have known. They were hidden away on private land. However, if this had happened, it would probably have led to a police report for theft. As this country doesn't have a 'finders keepers' law, anyone who removes anything without the owners permission is committing theft. Just because something looks abandoned, you don't always know the back story.

So they weren't abandoned they were unmanaged? To your second point, totally agree.

I'm not against the principle as with like most things the theory is sound, its making it applicable from a practical perspective that needs more thought.

It will never happen.
All the time there is a possibility of Hive thefts many Beekeepers will keep their own hive whereabouts a secret, even from Bee inspectors.
I have often wondered when it comes to colony numbers what the true figure is.
We only know the numbers of those declared.

This is exactly why I think some people don't register on BeeBase, apart from the fact that it's a pain in the posterior to use.

Perhaps people would register, though, if it were tied to some kind of meaningful insurance scheme. I.e. you have to register were they are kept in order to maintain a valid policy? And the policy paid out in full (less an excess, don't forget their excess!) for theft or destruction.

This current world is full of paranoia about big brother watching, regardless of the smart phone in your pocket reporting everywhere you go to google.
I'm on beebase but I have to admit it's 50 colonies off.
Since my back went my wife now has some idea of how many colonies I actually have and where because she helped me feed some of them. :)

It will never happen.
All the time there is a possibility of Hive thefts many Beekeepers will keep their own hive whereabouts a secret, even from Bee inspectors.
I have often wondered when it comes to colony numbers what the true figure is.
We only know the numbers of those declared.
This current world is full of paranoia about big brother watching, regardless of the smart phone in your pocket reporting everywhere you go to google.
I'm on beebase but I have to admit it's 50 colonies off.
Since my back went my wife now has some idea of how many colonies I actually have and where because she helped me feed some of them. :)
Im not on it...

So you sit in judgement of other 'irresponsible' beekeepers abandoning hives which could be a disease risk but refuse to be on a national database which is an essential tool in managing serious bee diseases?
Sounds a bit like these clowns who make up excuses for not wearing masks in tescos

So you sit in judgement of other 'irresponsible' beekeepers abandoning hives which could be a disease risk but refuse to be on a national database which is an essential tool in managing serious bee diseases?
Sounds a bit like these clowns who make up excuses for not wearing masks in tescos

Most of my colony are on view and alot of the public can see them.
Numerous times I've had the public watching me with binoculars and then talking to me afterwards.. There's alsorts of riff raff that come up to this hill travelers fly tipping, drugys, and alot of folk coming from the Midlands to ride there motorbikes around.
I don't hide my colonys I've had association members come and look through my colonys to assec what stock they are.

Plus I give all the care I can to my bees some of my kit is a bit old but each and every colony has the same care.

I couldn't say the same for some beekeepers even bee farmers.... A hell of a statement I know.

If anyone wanted to look at my hives ie a bee inspector then I would be glad to assist.

Titterstone Clee honey will be a registered business from this autumn

And via my mentor and association I will be rearing as many queens/nucs as possible.. So I'm hoping to get some clarity on health etc..

Emyr you need to concentrate on thoughs who need it my friend.

There isn't that many on here who post and are as open as I am

Last edited:
Perhaps they can’t find masks big enough to cover their clown noses?

Most of my colony are on view and alot of the public can see them.
Numerous times I've had the public watching me with binoculars and then talking to me afterwards.. There's alsorts of riff raff that come up to this hill travelers fly tipping, drugys, and alot of folk coming from the Midlands to ride there motorbikes around.
I don't hide my colonys I've had association members come and look through my colonys to assec what stock they are.

Plus I give all the care I can to my bees some of my kit is a bit old but each and every colony has the same care.

I couldn't say the same for some beekeepers even bee farmers.... A hell of a statement I know.

If anyone wanted to look at my hives ie a bee inspector then I would be glad to assist.

Titterstone Clee honey will be a registered business from this autumn

And via my mentor and association I will be rearing as many queens/nucs as possible.. So I'm hoping to get some clarity on health etc..

Emyr you need to concentrate on thoughs who need it my friend.

There isn't that many on here who post and are as open as I am
Id doesn't change the fact that you have decided to stay below the radar as far as the NBU is concerned.
The words Irresponsible and hypocritical come to mind

Id doesn't change the fact that you have decided to stay below the radar as far as the NBU is concerned.

Just because I'm not a beebase member it doesn't mean I'm under the radar as you call it.
Things are changing for me and I will no dowt at some point will register.
My beekeeping is changing from being a hobbest to running a business I know the implications that this intails.

You can say what you like.
My girls know how much love and care I give them.

I've not lost a colony through neglect since I've been beekeeping in 5 years so I must be doing something right.

The way the nbu is going turns sbi's (who should be entirely on the beekeepers side -no nuance, unless they're hiding foul brood!) into agents of the VMD who clearly arent on the side of beekeepers.
It is not black and white.

On the original question of what to do with possibly abandoned hives. Easiest way is to put a note with your phone number in a plastic bag and leave it on the hives, under a stone on the roof or anywhere visible.
Worked for me when looking for bees, saw some old looking hives near a woodland edge. Just left a note asking for contact if they had any or knew of someone.

Here in france we do have registration, but no inspections, so no big deal. Would help in such cases as you have to display the NAPI number on the hives, takes 5 mins to register. Obligatory in the sense that it then brings them under home insurance so worth doing.

On the original question of what to do with possibly abandoned hives. Easiest way is to put a note with your phone number in a plastic bag and leave it on the hives, under a stone on the roof or anywhere visible.
Worked for me when looking for bees, saw some old looking hives near a woodland edge. Just left a note asking for contact if they had any or knew of someone.

Here in france we do have registration, but no inspections, so no big deal. Would help in such cases as you have to display the NAPI number on the hives, takes 5 mins to register. Obligatory in the sense that it then brings them under home insurance so worth doing.

Why do the French Govt insist on registration? serious Q

Latest posts

Back