Nationals Vs langstroth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ticklesbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I have always had nationals, however I'm considering swapping over to mainly langstroth.
I would still be keeping on the nationals that I have. Just increasing with langstroth's from next year.
I have already ordered a few to get started, and to be able to get the dimensions for my own production. (Most of the dimensions I've found online are different measurements)
What are you thoughts, are langstroth hives better in the long run for commercial purposes?

I know everyone has their own opinion and rate one over the other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’d stick to nationals if that’s what you have, very popular box...............that said I keep commercials which of coarse are the best:laughing-smiley-014

Last edited:
Are Lang better for commercial bee farming. Yes.

They are rectangular and so better for transporting. The supers are simple to make if you have the following kit.

Accurate table saw. Router. Dovetail jig. Biscuit jointer.

I had a right mix of hives and that was an utter pain but that was partly circumstances out of my control. If I were only looking at honey then yes Lang and poly lang (at least the brood boxes) would be my prefered way forward but... there is good money in bees so keeping a National unit or at least a poly nuc unit would be profitable.

PH

I was pondering the same thing I make all my own kit to date around 40 nationals, thinking on Langstroths now simply because there much less time consuming to make . Was looking into making 8 frame boxes

Langstroth is the most used hibevtype in the world.
Remember medium boxes as Super

I was pondering the same thing I make all my own kit to date around 40 nationals, thinking on Langstroths now simply because there much less time consuming to make . Was looking into making 8 frame boxes

Better to do standard boxes.

I'm only a first year so plenty to learn. I could be swayed to move to Lang though. The point that sticks with me is that if you have a really good queen you'd be double brood on nationals - 22 frames. But only single with Langs (as far as I know) so less frames to handle.
It seems that national wouldn't be the preferred hive type if everyone started from scratch right now and decided which to go with as a standard.

I use Langs jumbos and shallow supers..

Minimal lifting heavy weights
V easy to make - I diy
Easy to handle.

Not a common size
Others use Nationals - (I use national nucs for bee sales)
Jumbo brood frames can be heavy if full of honey
A full brood box really requires two to lift if full of bees and honey...(I do that Spring and Autumn only)

I get superior yields per hive vs my national neighbours as colonies overwinter large and build up quickly in Spring (may be the bees I use, or superior beekeeping ??? :paparazzi:)

Twin brood boxes for Nationals a pia. Making Nationals a pia.. Don't like 14x12

You can double brood Lang.

If I went Lant it ould be poly though far better for the bees and the first super in po9ly to help they get up. All the other supers would be timber though.

Why on earth would you want 8 frame broods? That's cutting your nose off stuff.

PH

I'm only a first year so plenty to learn. I could be swayed to move to Lang though. The point that sticks with me is that if you have a really good queen you'd be double brood on nationals - 22 frames. But only single with Langs (as far as I know) so less frames to handle.
It seems that national wouldn't be the preferred hive type if everyone started from scratch right now and decided which to go with as a standard.

It is not that way.. You may leave the excluder away, and you see how many frames the queen can lay.

Last edited:
Happy so far with the Lang poly hive for the first year, seem to have plenty of space. Honey supers nice and easy to lift and extract.

So good I'm getting another identical hive next year, might even drive out to CW jones as it's just over the border from me.

To standard furniture you can buy all kinds of tools like feeding boxes, excluders, floors ... if you have own dimensions, nothing fits together.

Number of frames is the Basic.

You could buy in 8 frame excluders etc. Single brood 8 frame boxes are popular in Australia

You could buy in 8 frame excluders etc. Single brood 8 frame boxes are popular in Australia

Idea was not to make complicate the beekeeping. Why 8 frames?

.what Australian beekeeping has to do with UK?

First I had 9 frame langstroths 25 years. Then polyhives were 10 frames and the wall 1 cm wider than wall in the old wooden box. It was not even a nuisance.

New inner roofs and rain roofs of course, new floors ... And so on to the new boxes.

Last edited:
Idea was not to make complicate the beekeeping. Why 8 frames?

.what Australian beekeeping has to do with UK?

First I had 9 frame langstroths 25 years. Then polyhives were 10 frames and the wall 1 cm wider than wall in the old wooden box. It was not even a nuisance.
I was just thinking that amm be more suited to an 8 frame box is all and might be better for the back too , would like to stick to a one size box

Back