National Trust

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

region2

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
Found this - National Trust Sites with Bee Hives

Code:
The following National Trust properties have bee hives on their land:
Arlington                       Lanhydrock
Attingham Park               Llanerchaeron
Avebury                        Lyme Park
Borrowdale                    Lyveden New Bield
Calke Abbey                  Malham Tarn
Cliveden Estate              Modern Hall Park
Corfe Castle - Hartland    Moor Parke Estate - Bovey
Cotehele                       Pentireglaze
Cut Thorn Farm              Purbeck Estate
Dunwich Heath - Mount   Pleasant Farm Purbeck Heaths
Emmetts Garden             Rosedene
Felbrigg                        Saltram
Fenton House                Sheffield Park
Gibside                         Sheringham Park
Godolphin                      Sissinghurst
Greenlands Farm             Slindon
Hardwick                       Styal
Harewoods Estate           Sunnycroft
Harmony Farm                The Vyne and N Hants
High Peak                      Upper Wharfedale
Hughenden Manor Estate  West Kennet Farm
Isle of Wight (Bembridge Windmill) 
Killerton                         Windermere - Bonnerigg Farm

I have visited several sites with bees this year that are not on that list, typical NT, too busy selling foreign honey in their shops :rolleyes: Bees seem to be low priority on their list for years until recent surge of interest by the public. Personally I think they should use some of their remote islands as mating stations, that would make a difference.

NT have a policy of doubling the price of anything they sell. So if they buy a local honey for £3.50 in a lb jar, they would try to sell it at £7. Maybe that's why they sell foreign honey as it's cheaper.

Sure my bees roam and forage for free on NT land................. pleasing to see the NT volunteers busy planting orchards, wildflower meadows and very bee friendly gardens,,,
and the RHS as well !!!
Bravo.. well done !

Suggest, very politely in light of other threads, that you read the 2nd column.

I have visited several sites with bees this year that are not on that list, typical NT, ...

It would be interesting to see a complete list - or a list of NT sites without bees.

ADDED - and a source for a list {even that incomplete list} of the sites with bees might be helpful evidence in making the case ...

Last edited:
Nic Rhodes;180540 Personally I think they should use some of their remote islands as mating stations said:
Totally agree Nic, I find it amazing that despite all the hoo hah over the " Healthy bees plan " and increased publicity about our bees and their plight there seems to belittle or no concerted effort by national organisations to set up breeding programmes, that sort of thing seems to have been left to microscope addicted pensioners in Wiltshire or the occasional University department with no hope of isolated matings and little prospect of far reaching, succesfull AI programmes. Our own NBU proudly import various continental bee stock with no long term ambition to improve on what they import and so the prospects for improving our bees generally fall to a few semi commercial bee breeding enthusiasts.
With a bit of co-ordinatiion and the vast resources of the National Trust there might be more hope of improving our own lot rather than relying on others

It would be interesting to see a complete list - or a list of NT sites without bees.

ADDED - and a source for a list {even that incomplete list} of the sites with bees might be helpful evidence in making the case ...

On reflection, my guess is that this might be a list of NT sites with NT-owned bees, and thus not directly helpful to folks wondering about new apiary sites ...

ADDED - and that NT centrally might not have a clue as to which other sites did or did not already have bees.

Totally agree Nic, I find it amazing that despite all the hoo hah over the " Healthy bees plan " and increased publicity about our bees and their plight there seems to belittle or no concerted effort by national organisations to set up breeding programmes, ..........................With a bit of co-ordinatiion and the vast resources of the National Trust there might be more hope of improving our own lot rather than relying on others

:iagree:
I don't think the National Trust themselves would want to (or be able to) initiate and co-ordinate such a project but they could certainly make an excellent partner.
It is a shame that we can't see some really innovative fields trials involving the NBU, Universities and experienced beekeepers working together.
I guess the problem is funding and that the fact that beekeeping falls somewhere between science and craft. I woudl imagine it is very difficult to put together a coherent project that could attract significant funding.

Seems its possible to get significant funding for projects with virtually no hope of ever being of practical use to beekeepers, see thread :
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14131

so it should be relatively easy to get funding for a project which should be of benefit to all British beekeepers.
It would need someone with vision, passion and patience to put it all together and a solid team to ensure its continuation.
Unfortunately, jumping through the funding hoops required would probably send most practical beekeepers round the bend, I certainly wouldnt fancy attempting it !

Shropshire Beekeepers Assoc have a really interesting apiary at Attingham Park near Shrewsbury. There is an old (Victorian?) bee house with a variety of old hives including skeps. They also have a full national observation hive in the walled kitchen garden.
Really interesting for a day out.

Cheers
Monty:)

Latest posts

Back