National to Langstroth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi All
I placed a nuc in an empty national toward the end of last summer, let them build up stores to get through the winter and decided to wait till this season before getting them into a Langstroth.

I have an adapter to enable me to sit the L on top of the N, i was just wondering when the best time to do this would be, i want them up as quickly as possible, if i put it on now, with the limited space in the N, would the queen move up quicker ? the drawback being the L has undrawn foundation on the frames.

Suggestions and ideas please for now or later.

Thanks All.

for goodness sake not yet. It's way TOO COLD.

April at the very earliest.

PH

Even April may be too early Sweetums:(
I tried to get a colony to move into a brand new commercial on 2 Apr 2008,
They began drawing the foundation on 16 JUNE 2008!! OK so last year's spring was awful (non event) but the bees know best and will not leave their brood until it is warm enough. with hindsight giving them all that extra space to heat probably slowed down their developement.
Regards Mike

Points noted thanks.
I agree its too soon this month, but it should be warm enough down here at some point in April.

Heres hoping.

Absolutely PH, always do when they have to draw.

Let it be it that box as long as they have space there.
When bees need more space, put the national over the Langstroth.
Don't hesitate. Let them grow and use national as super. Let them lay in national as long as they fill it with honey. You do not need even excluder.

Latest posts

Back