National poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nucs are at the planning stage at the present and the tooling should be made next month with the nucs being available for Feb 1 2011.

I have seen the prototype (cnc milled) and it looks very impressive. I am planning on using these next year to give them a good trial.

Thanks for that info, did see the 11th feb date, but thought that was due to out of stock, not, not yet made!

I assume the web site is not yours?

Looks like just the sort of thing I'm after and at a reasobable price - will the proof be in the pudding?

Looks like just the sort of thing I'm after and at a reasobable price - will the proof be in the pudding?

No, the proof of the pudding with be in the eating.

No, the proof of the pudding with be in the eating.

yes bees eating the poly if not dense enough, he had them at the National honey show in mock up, but no actual piece of poly to examine

he said it would be about 100gm poly but was not very knowledgeable , if it is too low a density the bees will destroy it

another supplier in Blackheath had low density nuc a few years ago and had to increase the density due to complaints

modern beekeeping do a deep langstroth than you can convert to a nat with a few bits of wood or a frame convertor, now they are very dense poly

I buy mine from Swienty. Very dense. Very tough. Very reliable company.

buy cheap and .............

PH

Thanks for that info, did see the 11th feb date, but thought that was due to out of stock, not, not yet made!

I assume the web site is not yours?

No, the website is not mine. Called Will up last week and visited him to see the hives and have a chat. Will has some interesting ideas.

The hives and nucs were being designed for his own use, and selling them on the open market was an afterthought.

He will also be doing a low density version of the same nuc to be used as a 'postage box'. Yes the bees will chew it, but it is only meant for single use bee transport i.e. you buy a nuc, this is what it arrives in, you then transfer the frames & bees into your own equipment.

P H,

I bought mine from MBS. They, too, seem to be dense and tough. Seems to be a very reliable company also (hives are manufactured by Paradise Honey). Only recent aquisitions, but I am very pleased so far.

Langstroth, unfortunately, so needed packing out to take 14 x 12 frames. I have two with this-year splits in them, and two more ready for next year. They easily take 6 hoffman frames, so 5 and a large frame feeder will be a very useful option. I didn't buy them just on your ardent love of poly, but you did help in my decision.

Also, at 14 x 12, I could easiily use them as 2 x three frame nucs in the summer season (still equivalent to a half a standard national hive and probably as much, or more, usable frame area than a wooden, five-frame standard nuc.). In that format they would have equated to less than 17 quid per nucleus installed, so good value!

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
MBS had the national poly hive at the Honey Show which they are launching in Feb. I think he mentioned a poly national nuc also. Worth checking as his quality and service are good.

At the moment there is not a National available. However the Langstroth is very easy to mod to National and also gives a very handy feeding compartment.

I have 20 odd done that way. ;)

PH

Home made. Not difficult to do at all. One bit of ply and a tube of decent silicone.

PH

Thanks PH and Erichalfbee

Yes I did see the above link, looks quite neat, but still not STD national.

I am going to go for 2 of the std national nucs in the orginal link I posted.

I do not envisage overwintering in them...only require their use from roughly April - August for stock increases.

So I might even add on a couple of the £12 ones as well...will place an order later this week when the cash is also flowing Thornes way!

If you buy a standard National size how are you going to feed it?

Admittedly I use them for over wintering.

Re very dense I am mailing Swienty to get a figure.

PH

Latest posts

Back