National Poly Nucs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Maybe I have missed this but does anyone know of a supplier of National Poly Nucs?

Must be national stock mind.

I am keen to try them this year.

thanx

Jez

Last edited:
Anyone used Park Beekeeping PBS 3 in 1 - Langstroth/BS/14 x 12 ?

I`ve got a couple that i bought last year Jezd.
They are a pain to use because of the castellations. The bees gum the frame lugs down onto flat poly and it`s a PITA to get the first frame out.
The built in feeder is really handy though.

They are less dense than the Swienty poly but i have not had a problem with any chewing yet and they`ve been in use over a year.

I personally wouldn`t buy another as Rooftops Jumbo Lang are cheaper and better quality. It`s probably about 50p`s worth of wood to convert.

Darren.

Thanks, Interesting stuff.

My issue with converting is they will not be staying converted so I will be forever adding and removing conversion kits (we are talking 20-30 poly nucs here mind).

Wonder if rooftops can be fitted with the timber internally on the box to have the same effect.

Jez

I don`t know if you saw the pictures i posted of my conversion from Jumbo Langstroth to 14x12. Each side panel just slides in and is held with 1 screw each side.
I did it like that so i could remove and disinfect if i ever need to but it may suit your needs too.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6428

It was very simple to do as i`m definately no carpenter :)
Darren

thanks, is all that timber your own extra work?

I would also need a block on the base as I run mainly standard national (but do have some 14x12 too.

Jez

thanks, is all that timber your own extra work?

It`s just a piece of 10mm ply (318x240 IIRC) and a some offcuts of cedar i had laying around. I spent awhile working out the first one but once you have the measurements i could cut all the pieces in 5 minutes.

I would also need a block on the base as I run mainly standard national (but do have some 14x12 too.
Jez

I think you could use the smaller Langstroth nuc box for standard national brood frames, but i may be wrong, never having seen a Langstroth frame :)

Darren.

cheers,

sorry last question, you said you had PBS 3 in 1 - Langstroth/BS/14 x 12? cant the castellations not be taken out in these?

Jez

Try modernbeekeeping (Rooftops). does a Jumbo and deep langstroth poly nuc with frame converters for 14x12 and standard BS frames.

I am trying one at the moment and am happy. Just bear in mind that the Jumbo nuc has a brood area that is comparable in size to a FULL national hive.
bee-smillie

You probably could remove them but i`m not sure you would be left with a very good edge as the poly is quite soft.
Maybe you could remove them and stick some thin ply on the top to make the frames slide better, although, if you have to start modifying you might be better off with a Swienty one to start with.

Buy one from Park beekeeping to have a play with and see what you think of it. I just wouldn`t want you to put in a order for 30 and be dissapointed.

Darren.

The other reason I like those 3 in 1's are that you can use for both national standard and 14x12 frames, and you also get a feeder too.

Unless I read it wrong.

Jez

The other reason I like those 3 in 1's are that you can use for both national standard and 14x12 frames, and you also get a feeder too.

Unless I read it wrong.

Jez

Yes you do.
it`s a good little rapid feeder, it holds a couple of litres i would guess.

Darren.

Do rooftops poly nucs have two entrances? one at each end.

ta

Do rooftops poly nucs have two entrances? one at each end.

ta

Yes they do, and they can supply a central divider board to enable two 3 frame nucs to be in the same box. I am currently using one with 14 x 12 frames (on converters) and a Langstroth frame feeder that they also supply. Due to the current wasp situation, I also have the entrances reduced.

I purchased this one to try and is a very good box that can handle a variety of frame types if required.

The website is www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/products/nucleus-hives

Last edited:
poly nucs from Modernbeekeeping do have two entrances. Not in the roof though.
The Finish poly hives have reversable roofs, one way for normal use, one for traveling.
I use my roofs in the traveling position as a mini-eke which allows me to put apiguard on.
You could turn the roof into an entrance though by closing off one side and leaving the other one open.
Have a look at the MBK site http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/products/nucleus-hives
You use one entrance for one colony and the oppisite one for the opther using a dummy board.
these nucs are great things for under £30-

Back