National Organisation for England

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
If, and it's a very big IF there were to be an English beekeeping organisation set up to be more bee friendly what would it be called?

English Beekeeping Association?

English Beekeepers Society?

I personally don't think the word British is appropriate as I find it rather arrogant to use it for "just" England.

Thoughts?

PH

Do you not think a British membership would be better though ?

I have found on the forum that some of the better posters are from outside England.

We also have a few expats in France etc.

RBA --Real Beekeepers Association

Well If the Scottish, can be Scottish and Welsh Welsh and Yorkshire Yorkshire (Joke) why can not the English be English?

Reason we are to PC and it will offend others:puke:

I always state my Nationality as English.

Comes down to Association or Society

so·ci·e·ty (s-s-t)
n. pl. so·ci·e·ties
a. The totality of social relationships among humans.
b. A group of humans broadly distinguished from other groups by mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions, and a common culture.
c. The institutions and culture of a distinct self-perpetuating group.
2. An organization or association of persons engaged in a common profession, activity, or interest: a folklore society; a society of bird watchers.
a. The rich, privileged, and fashionable social class.
b. The socially dominant members of a community.
4. Companionship; company: enjoys the society of friends and family members.
5. Biology A colony or community of organisms, usually of the same species: an insect society.

as·so·ci·a·tion (-ss-shn, -sh-)
n.
1. The act of associating or the state of being associated.
2. An organized body of people who have an interest, activity, or purpose in common; a society.
a. A mental connection or relation between thoughts, feelings, ideas, or sensations.
b. A remembered or imagined feeling, emotion, idea, or sensation linked to a person, object, or idea.
4. Chemistry Any of various processes of combination, such as hydration, solvation, or complex-ion formation, depending on relatively weak chemical bonding.
5. Ecology A large number of organisms in a specific geographic area constituting a community with one or two dominant species.

I do not Admin.

Scots find the English usage of British offensive, as no doubt also do the Irish and Welsh.

If the organisation is to be primarily English then call it so.

BKA is promising but there would be a temptation to put The in front of it and lo we are back to the above issues on another front.

PH

WBC--Worshipful Beekeepers Cooperative

be nice to avoid the whole BKA ending really, what about substituting Beekeepers with Apiculture

BAS British Apiculture Society
BAA " " Association

or maybe just

AA Apiculture Association

Possibly more important than the name is what it does for its members

Group discounts, Bulk buying, Honey Marketing

Possibly more important than the name is what it does for its members

Group discounts, Bulk buying, Honey Marketing

I received a telephone call out of the blue this afternoon from a company who want to offer forum members discount,they said the discount would not be available to any other groups etc,we would be the only ones offered it :cheers2:

Its not final yet as the discount will only be offered using forum software or a telephone call to order giving the members username.

I am going to work on building the software next week.

Members,

The idea of a separate group, under any name it acquires, will need a massive amount of administrative organisation.

I feel many are for a new 'group' but do not have managerial knowledge of running a big organisation. You can't expect the majority of BBKA members to suddenly change allegiance to a new 'group'.

So as far as I see this thread, its a "fantisy thread" where members can imagine what they would like, want in the way of a new group.
This thread in my opinion is going nowhere, will produce nothing, and is a waste of space.
It should be renamed as "Carry on Dreaming".

I'd like to be proved wrong.

Regards;:toetap05:

Dear me nothing like a positive attitude is there?
Come away mannie and pull your socks up.

PH

Bcrazy I was thinking of around 100 members plus to start with.
Just an alternative to the BBKA way of doing things.

The BBKA are first class when it comes to education but seem to of lost touch with a growing number of its members.

The insurance is nearly sorted and much work has been done by forum members behind the scenes,I think its got wings and will take off.

I have had a lot of interest from the Biobee members as well..

When the forum started a few members wanted to start a seperate group but I felt it was to early.

We now have 900 members and many supporters who are not members here plus a few bob in the donation kitty so things do now seem a little more possible.

Well I for one would be interested in another association/society whatever it is finally called that Admin is looking to set up. I find with some national organisations they can be somewhat off putting to new members irrespective of experience.

:cheers2:

Last edited:
Hi Admin,

While I do not know what has gone on behind closed doors I would like answers to the following questions;

1. How would a committee be selected, and who would vote for the committee?
2. Where would CM be held? Presumably in Hampshire?
3. Would the selected delegates be paid travelling expenses?

I'm sorry Admin but there are too many questions which at present I do not believe have been considered.

Bcrazy I was thinking of around 100 members plus to start with.

What?
You have mentioned there is interest from this forum, from Biobees forum and possibly others.
How can you only start with 100? What do others do who wish to join the "party"?

Admin you may have other projects going on behind the scene concerning the formation of a new group but from where I am sitting its a fantasy dream.

Regards;

Why Hampshire for meetings ?

I think it would be London or the Midlands as its not me who is behind the move to form a seperate group,I am just using the forum as a vehicle to get the wheels in motion.

I really dont have the time energy or Enthusiasm to get over involved.

Committees are really not my cup of tea.

I am happy to lend a hand from this end to get things started but am 100% sure I would not put myself up for any kind of election.

Regards the 100 members,I was not talking about closed membership,I was thinking how many members would join at the begining in say the first week or so.

You say its a dream ? well not my dream I can assure you,I am happy to run a very succesfull forum for members,anything else I have no interest in although as I said above I am happy to help others that are planning to get something off the ground and to use this forum for cascading any information to members.

You seem to think I am sat here plotting world domination ?

My names Mark,not Walter mitty.

Do you fancy being involved ? ask nice and you can have a go with the ball.

How would a committee be chosen?

Normally it's by those willing to give up their time and who are acceptable to the membership.

If there are more candidates than slots then there would be an election.

As for expenses? Getting a bit ahead is it not?

Cheer yourself up mannie your depressing me.

PH

Latest posts

Back