National Nuc cutting sheet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Following on from the chris_richmond post asking for a cutting sheet for a national hive,does anyone have a cutting sheet for making standard nuc's from an 8 x 4 sheet of ply.

Also how many boxes can you get from a single sheet ?

I assume that by how many you mean them main box and the roof or do you just mean the brood box?

I will be interested to see if anyone has a sheet as I plan to make my own nuc boxes from now on, and a cutting sheet would make things a lot easier. I also plan to put detachable mesh floors on them.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes I was asking regards the box and roof.

Admin,

Are you meaning full sized boxes? The cutting plan would indicate clearly the number of nucs possible from a single sheet? (although the type of floor might make a significant difference).

I would think setting out on a single sheet for complete boxes is a far bigger problem (waste-wise) than cutting for as many parts as possible from any single sheet(s) and completing the cutting list from the last/another sheet. After all, most would need more shallows than broods, if this is what you are thinking.

Regards, RAB

I'm a bit mixed up here ? Rab are they on about Nuc's or main hives ?

Using the ones here http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/adamsm/Plans/?action=view&current=BSNuc.jpg,

I think I made two standard national nuc hives from one 2440 x 1220 sheet with enough spare for 2-3 national crownboards.
Jewsons did most of the cutting - I think I asked them to cut it down into 486, 460, 220 and 150mm strips and I then cut these down to size.

If i factored in metal for the roofs and labour a couple of poly nuc's would be the economic option.

You should get about 5 but not with crown boards.

when you go to the wood yard you get two strips cut at 460mm wide two at 500mm wide and the other two at ? depends on wether you do five frame or six frame also wether you rebate or butt together but you will get about five to the sheet

I've looked everywhere but can't fine the plans for a commercial nuc can anyone help?

I've got a couple of Wynne Jones readymades, but not got round to measuring up. To be honest I've decided for now that it's less trouble for me without a functional workshop atm and cheaper to fit a divider in the standard (sale) cedar brood box, make two small crown boards and split a floor (front and back entrances).

Following on from the chris_richmond post asking for a cutting sheet for a national hive,does anyone have a cutting sheet for making standard nuc's from an 8 x 4 sheet of ply.

And don't forget if you buy from B&Q they now do 20 cuts free per sheet....saves a load of time, and taking a big vehicle. Don't forget the cutting sheet though. Be a bit picky on quality though.

It will all depend on the chosen method of construction and slight variation in floor construction, roof ect.

Best to set out your own, draw it out full size and then make a cutting list from the drawing.

For a guide I would say you will get approx three and a half from a standard 8x4 sheet.

Five frame nucs. This is what worked for me.

2440 x 1220 sheet. 9 mm or 12mm
Lengthways cut 3 @ 240mm wide...... 1 @ 210 wide and 1 x 185 wide.

Cut one of the 240mm wide into lengths of 490mm to get 5 pieces. Roof

Cut the other 2 240 wide into lengths of 465 to give you 10 pieces.. Sides

Cut the 210 wide into 465mm lengths gives you 5 pieces... Floors.

and cut the 185mm wide bit into 210mm lengths for the inner end pieces.

To make the ends for the frames to sit on requires a bit of fiddling to make a ledge.. i,e. end piece,and inner end piece with a gap between and a bridge across top.. Depends on what thickness ply you have used.. Whatever works for you..After all, these nucs will probably only be used for a short time...
Yes I know this is probably not how you make them but I found this easy without having to buy in different sizes of wood, although you will probably have to buy some for the edges of the roofs if you havent got anything to cut the 2440 piece that is left over into strips, and should be easy for somebody who doesnt have a shed full of routers and table saws...In fact if you nail and glue the joints you probably dont even need a drill, and if you are quick you can do them in the kitchen before you get sussed...

Last edited:
If we put on our thinking caps...

One would take a frame and add 7mm to each end. That's err... 14mm.

Measure the width of the frame and add (my choice) 14mm to give propolis and wax room. Plus of course times five or six for the frames. I prefer 6 as that allows space for the all important frame feeder. BTW ya really need frame feeders for nucs as nuc sized top feeders are not available unless you make them. As far as I know that is....

And there you have it, once you have the above dimensions for your frame choice you have the floor size and if you add 5mm to your roof all round you have that size too.

KISS

PH

There are slight variations on a couple of the measurements given above depending on what thickness ply you are using... The reason I had one piece cut to 185 wide and then cut into 210 lengths when another piece had already been cut to 210 wide was that it leaves a wider leftover bit..

do NOT buy your ply from b&q it is substandard full of holes inside just basic ply go to a wood yard and ask for exterior ply 3/3 you will not have any problems with this and they will cut it up for you normaly free

do NOT buy your ply from b&q it is substandard full of holes inside just basic ply go to a wood yard and ask for exterior ply 3/3 you will not have any problems with this and they will cut it up for you normaly free

Hence the caveat - be picky on quality. Mind I only use it for crown boards and dummy boards: if all the edges are solid then that's good enough for purpose. And our wood yards don't cut.

*nods

@ Admin - there's an extremely good timber merchant in Totton, just to the west of Southampton. Not sure if it's too far for you though.

Personally I have never found anything wrong with B&Q ply. Always has a decent surface but never weighed it to see if its hollow. Must have been lucky in that all my cuts missed the holes.

ply is a laminate and the cheaper the ply the more basic it is 18 quid at b&q you get what you pay as the saying goes the problem with there ply is where they butt the edges inside is not very good so you tend to have holes going across or length ways and they seal the edges so you dont know it is only really any good for fenceing around building sites so for an extra tenner you can get a far superior ply that is perfectley good for hives and if it is a good wood yard they will have one of those upright saws and cut it for you

Latest posts

Back