National Honey Show Leaflets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwenyn Diog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've come across this in the BBKA reading list for the modules. Under module 2 it states National Honey Show Leaflets (various)

Does anybody know what they are? How many leaflets are there? does anybody have any copies of them?

Unfortunately the NHS shop is currently closed. The leaflets are just guides on how to prepare wax blocks and other exhibits for show and are a bit dated. The information is readily available elsewhere
eg Dave Shannon
A Comprehensive Guide to Preparing Exhibits for a Honey Show £8.95 from Amazon

Thanks for the advice. I've spoken to the National Honey Show and they have sent me a list:

PUBLICATIONS
The National Honey Show Publications:
No.1 A Short History of the National Honey Show
No.2 Beeswax Candles for Show
No.3 Comb Honey for Show
No.4 Granulated or Crystallised Honey
No.5 Judging Honey in the Jar
No.6 Management, Production and Exhibiting of Heather Honey
No.7 Preparation of Liquid Honey
No.8 Producing Mead for Showing and Drinking
No.9 Showing Honey Products
No.10 The Study of Pollen (A Short History)
No.11 Wax for Show
Booklets are available at the Show for £3.50 each

At £3.50 each that would be £38.50 for the full set which seems a bit steep in my opinion.

Does anyone have a full set are some better than others?

Thanks for the advice. I've spoken to the National Honey Show and they have sent me a list:

PUBLICATIONS
The National Honey Show Publications:
No.1 A Short History of the National Honey Show
No.2 Beeswax Candles for Show
No.3 Comb Honey for Show
No.4 Granulated or Crystallised Honey
No.5 Judging Honey in the Jar
No.6 Management, Production and Exhibiting of Heather Honey
No.7 Preparation of Liquid Honey
No.8 Producing Mead for Showing and Drinking
No.9 Showing Honey Products
No.10 The Study of Pollen (A Short History)
No.11 Wax for Show
Booklets are available at the Show for £3.50 each

At £3.50 each that would be £38.50 for the full set which seems a bit steep in my opinion.

Does anyone have a full set are some better than others?

No 11 is good, written by the late Paddy Padmore (unless they've changed it). If I were you I'd trawl around online - I think they're all there in PDF form - that's where I got Padmore's years ago.
I doubt many who enter the show have read the comb honey one (either that, or it's not worth reading) as in 2018 the quality of exhibits was atrocious.

It was once rumoured that Paddy used to recommend other beekeepers to polish their wax blocks with silk knowing they would scratch them by doing so!

Thanks for the heads up with the link. It's a good read, seems like a lot of work.

It was once rumoured that Paddy used to recommend other beekeepers to polish their wax blocks with silk knowing they would scratch them by doing so!

I hope this leaflet isn't like the silk tip!! What would you use to polish your wax Master BK

Does anybody know of any more links? Or would be willing to send a private message if you have copies?

Polish wax under a running tap using clean fingers

Latest posts

Back