National honey monitoring scheme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, frustrating that they've run out of money. Personally I would have been willing to pay a small fee because I so enjoyed reading the pollen results from my 2019 samples
I attended a zoom earlier this week presented by Anna Oliver who is one of the leads on this project. She was saying that each sample costs £100 to process.

The cost means that samples from areas of high participation will be archived for future research.
She also said that, because of lack of manpower (social distancing) results will be delayed till spring.

I sent spring and summer honey samples this year and in 2019. All taken from newly capped comb as requested. I'm disappointed that all have come back at about 19-20% water and 77 Brix. Different bees? Different forage?
That's interesting mine was 16.3%
Brix 83
Spring honey above

My own readings from three other summer samples were
17% 18. 2% and 18.6

17% was first summer crop clover and blackberry might of had dandelion and clover.
18.2% blackberry, clover.
18.6 was a late summer honey and dark.
Picture of late summer honey. IMG_20200813_182829.jpg
IMG_20200813_182901.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting mine was 16.3%
Brix 83
Spring honey above

My own readings from three other summer samples were
17% 18. 2% and 18.6

17% was first summer crop clover and blackberry might of had dandelion and clover.
18.2% blackberry, clover.
18.6 was a late summer honey and dark.
Picture of late summer honey. View attachment 23333
View attachment 23334

Certainly a difference in forage! My 'early summer' sample was submitted on 22 July 2019. !3 species of pollen identified: 70% turnip, 15% cabbage, 8% OSRape, 5% bramble, 4% broad bean. All the rest about 1-2%

I wrote to Anna Oliver and explained that there was no turnip or cabbage grown locally but my hives were surrounded by OSR April-mid May. She replied that species identification by DNA barcoding used in the survey is not directly comparable with identification by melissopalynology ie microscopy "So, if you get a brassica [=turnip, cabbage, OSR] identification (and your hive is surrounded by OSR) I would rely more closely on what you see"

So eyeballing is best! So much for science!!

Certainly a difference in forage! My 'early summer' sample was submitted on 22 July 2019. !3 species of pollen identified: 70% turnip, 15% cabbage, 8% OSRape, 5% bramble, 4% broad bean. All the rest about 1-2%

I wrote to Anna Oliver and explained that there was no turnip or cabbage grown locally but my hives were surrounded by OSR April-mid May. She replied that species identification by DNA barcoding used in the survey is not directly comparable with identification by melissopalynology ie microscopy "So, if you get a brassica [=turnip, cabbage, OSR] identification (and your hive is surrounded by OSR) I would rely more closely on what you see"

So eyeballing is best! So much for science!!
My Native bees do not like OSR.. give them a bit of a tummy ache !!!!!!!!
Amazing how you think you are surrounded with decent forage and the bees are not foraging on it!!
Nadelik Lowen

Amazing how you think you are surrounded with decent forage and the bees are not foraging on it!!
I only had OSR at one site this year which I was quite glad about as I mostly sell clear honey.
A friend has hives right next to OSR fields but hardly had a crop. Possibly wind-pollinated variety?

Nadelik Lowen

Gosh, that's surprising! Have you submitted a sample of spring or early summer honey for pollen analysis? I'm tempted to wager £5 with you that the predominant species will be turnip or other brassica!! - assuming that you have OSR nearby.

Moderators, any chance of a sub-section of the forum to place wagers?

Gosh, that's surprising! Have you submitted a sample of spring or early summer honey for pollen analysis? I'm tempted to wager £5 with you that the predominant species will be turnip or other brassica!! - assuming that you have OSR nearby.

Moderators, any chance of a sub-section of the forum to place wagers?
As long as the odds are good I'm game..
Might even be better than playing the lottery.. Not that I do that.

I only had OSR at one site this year which I was quite glad about as I mostly sell clear honey.
A friend has hives right next to OSR fields but hardly had a crop. Possibly wind-pollinated variety?
There's osr right next to some of our hives for next spring... My plan is to get some drawn frames ready for the Heather.. If we get a crop from the osr it will be a bonus.. I use to hate the stuff but it's a damn good way of bulking your honey crop and getting frames drawn.
Lets hope the beetle don't destroy it.

Out of interest has anyone taken hives to cover crops like clover?
( white) obviously the weather needs to be good.. Ie 20c days and good humidity..
If you can add temps and humidity and experiences pls.

My sample from this year is to archived so only the 18.1% h20 /80% brix info available.

I received the email today, if one logs in to their account the status will be on there.

I shall keep ordering sample packs and already have my spring request in, in the hope that things might improve once covid is better controllled.

Like @Little_bees i attended the webinar last week with Somerset beekeepers and Anna Oliver from NHMS, she said everyone who have their samples archived, will be sent an email. Though you can log on to find this too. Unfortunately it’s more likely if you’re in an area with very high sample returns (east and south east which account for over half the returns) Some areas eg Scotland and parts of the north have low returns.

She mentioned that some plants can be hard to identify, especially readily cultivated and crossed or highly evolving plants. Gave the example of brassicas being hard to properly identify eg oil seed rape being a cross between turnip and cabbage family , chances are if you see turnip on a report it’s oil seed rape.

She gave some interesting stats on the top 10 plants foraged by bees which I made a note of - for interest below:

Top 10 species: bramble 24%, brassicas 11%, sweet chestnut 10.7%, then white clover 9.2%, then borage , wild radish???(another brassica - oil seed rape again??), privet, 1,7%, Himalayan balsam 1.4%

Wildflowers are collectively 25% , ornamentals are just 3%

Elaine

All three of my apiary samples have been archived :( I was hoping one might get analysed.

Mine was archived as well, only 33 submissions from my locality though; although three times as many as last year.

Ive had a look and I can't see mine has been archived, it says sugar sample complete and incomplete sample pack which hasn't been sent out.
Does this mean theres a chance I will get my pollen chart??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back