National honey monitoring scheme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was interested in the pollen analysis more so I hope I receive it.
I've put a request in for next year's samples.. I would like to take more samples.
I've collected 6 samples this season but only sent of one.

I wish I could get them tested some other way?
Learn to do it yourself.
I did a microscopy workshop at a National honey show. Great fun.
You can’t always identify everything as lots of pollens are similar but you can get an idea.

I would like to as the children could get interested.
There is two microscopes at the association apiary for nosemia testing etc so I'll ask.
You can get a nice microscope for a hundred quid. Ask Father Christmas

You can get a nice microscope for a hundred quid. Ask Father Christmas
What would be a good one to get?
I've got alot of my Xmas presents already on order queen's, nucs.
And more equipment when there's some more sales.
It can go on the bees Xmas list.

Last edited:
See what you can borrow from your BKA before you commit. If they've got two, they've probably got one each of dissecting and compound. (The kids will probably be more interested in the dissecting one - lower magnification, used for seeing bits of insects, etc.)
Also see if they have a small centrifuge. You can collect pollen at the hive entrance and analyse with a normal compound microscope but if you want to see the pollen in your honey, you'll need to pre-prepare and centrifuge it.

An excellent book for beginners about setting up and using a microscope is 'Understanding and Using the Light Microscope' by Thomas & Woolnough.

It covers step-by-step basics for absolute beginners but is comprehensive enough for the more advanced stuff.

You can view a free copy online here
but I'd recommend buying the paper copy so you can have it next to your microscope as you go along.

See what you can borrow from your BKA before you commit. If they've got two, they've probably got one each of dissecting and compound. (The kids will probably be more interested in the dissecting one - lower magnification, used for seeing bits of insects, etc.)
Also see if they have a small centrifuge. You can collect pollen at the hive entrance and analyse with a normal compound microscope but if you want to see the pollen in your honey, you'll need to pre-prepare and centrifuge it.
Thanks @Little_bees very useful information again.
Im sure I'm able to go to the association apiary and use the microscopes.
I'll find out from the treasurer.
@GuyNir thanks for the link also :)

There’s a CD that goes with the book - used it to help identify the pollen in my honey. Here’s pollen from my honey at home - heather, thistle, rosebay willow herb, and balsam. Beautiful to see under the microscope

Attachments

• 04A2C95D-2EE2-4135-9BBF-5C974122E8D3.jpeg
    04A2C95D-2EE2-4135-9BBF-5C974122E8D3.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 8C8FD1FC-C99C-42FA-B715-9ADDD0689435.jpeg
    8C8FD1FC-C99C-42FA-B715-9ADDD0689435.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 10
  • 07CE8275-32C2-47CB-AF3A-14FA967A5513.jpeg
    07CE8275-32C2-47CB-AF3A-14FA967A5513.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 07B95A3F-6480-43B6-BB9B-D2FBFB3C26AD.jpeg
    07B95A3F-6480-43B6-BB9B-D2FBFB3C26AD.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 11
  • 782E2316-8B53-44BA-8EEC-13103B1CD094.jpeg
    782E2316-8B53-44BA-8EEC-13103B1CD094.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 10
It doesn't look like I'm going to get my pollen chart from my spring honey sample after an email I've received.. Its all down to how many samples they have received.
I have the sugar content..
But the pollen has been achieved?? :(

Looks like I will have to wait for St nick to come and do my own. :)

It doesn't look like I'm going to get my pollen chart from my spring honey sample after an email I've received.. Its all down to how many samples they have received.
I have the sugar content..
But the pollen has been achieved?? :(
Have a look at your account.
It will tell you whether the sample is archived.
Looks like I will have to wait for St nick to come and do my own. :)

It's too soon for pollen results from last spring.
The brix analysis comes back within a week or two after being received and details added to the account. My account has no message update yet and I have had no email to say it isn't under consideration for the pollen stage. But like everyone have had the blanket generic email also posted on the website.

They are trying to get round to doing them in December but are archiving a lot of samples this year because they don’t have the wherewithal to process them all.

Yes, frustrating that they've run out of money. Personally I would have been willing to pay a small fee because I so enjoyed reading the pollen results from my 2019 samples

I've recieved the sugar results of my spring honey this season.
Results.. 16.3% water content.
82 ( brix) sugar content..
I prosume pollen graph etc will be emailed at some point.

I sent spring and summer honey samples this year and in 2019. All taken from newly capped comb as requested. I'm disappointed that all have come back at about 19-20% water and 77 Brix. Different bees? Different forage?

Latest posts

Back