National Hive Plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browntea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Right im going to have a go at building my own hives! Im not a joiner so i would very much like someone to either give me a list of parts and sizes or send me a link to some very simple plans, the ones ive come across are not idiot proof!! I have sourced the timber,either cedar or white wood at a very reasonable price, I need brood boxes,floors and roofs desperatly!

:thanks:

The problem with the national hive is that it's complicated and does need a few woodworking skills but once mastered they are relatively easy easy to build

Floors needn't be hard.
Coverboards (and their variants) are simple. (But good clear coverboards aren't so simple.)
Roofs can be quite 'free form' (slab of Celotex plus a couple of bricks?)

But making your first National brood or super is a significant undertaking.

If you really need the stuff "desperately" then buy, don't build.

Langstroth, Smith and Commercial hives are designed with at least a nod to keeping the carpentry simple. But the National isn't on that list.

Last edited:
Thanks REDWOOD for that link its the best I've seen so far, not that it makes a lot of sense!! :D think I may have to buy what I need this year or find a joiner QUICK!!

Seeing as how you seem open to the idea of buying...

Why not buy one of each so that you have something to replicate. A bit like having 3d plans that you can handle and measure etc.

Thanks REDWOOD for that link its the best I've seen so far, not that it makes a lot of sense!! :D think I may have to buy what I need this year or find a joiner QUICK!!

Yes, they are a good set of plans but without a router and a good bench saw of some type you would really be hard pushed to make them up in any sensible time frame - and you would need to be very accurate or it would be a dog's dinner !

Buy the bits and use them as templates, you can do away with the bells and whistles (sculptured hand holds etc.) as long as the basic box is exactly the right dimensions and rigid you will be fine - but it's probably a project for extra kit to be made over the winter when you have time. Not something to be rushed.

LittleJohn

Thanks for Min of Ag Plans, fantastic !

There are easier ways to make a 'national'. For instance - loose the tenons out and screw/glue the rails. If you have done a bit of DIY it shouldn't be too bad to work out some simplifications. A lick of suitable paint makes them look good and hides a multitude of sins.

British National Dimensions

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering could anyone help me out. I'm currently designing a British National beehive. I have found plans giving the outer dimensions of the brood chambers and supers but have been unable to locate detailed drawings of the internal dimensions which is what I'm basing my design on.

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me of where I could find this information.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering could anyone help me out. I'm currently designing a British National beehive. I have found plans giving the outer dimensions of the brood chambers and supers but have been unable to locate detailed drawings of the internal dimensions which is what I'm basing my design on.

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me of where I could find this information.

Thanks

Hi - and welcome to the forum.

I'd discourage you from 'designing' a different National - at the very least until you are familiar with the "British Standard (Modified) National" that is in widespread use.

You'll find full plans for the Standard Modified National linked from the third post in this thread! :)
The second post in this thread links to a page on (the late) Dave Cushman's site, which is a wonderful (though eclectically organised) resource for info (and dimensions) on all sorts of beekeeping bits and methods.

Another common approach that may be worthwhile for some folks is to buy a cheap flatpack hive, and replicate it.

And it might just possibly be worth mentioning that some hives (notably the Smith and Commercial - which are related, but in different ways, to the National) are particularly designed with the aim of simplifying the carpentry.

I'm currently designing a British National beehive. I have found plans giving the outer dimensions of the brood chambers and supers but have been unable to locate detailed drawings of the internal dimensions which is what I'm basing my design on.

Can't you deduce the inside dimensions? I used the plans mentioned previously in this thread and came up with this:

side to side (wall to wall): 16 5/8"
front to back (including lug ledges): 17 1/8"
front to back (wall to wall): 14 5/8"
height: 8 7/8"
lug ledge from top: 11/16"
lug ledge from bottom: 1/4"

The problem with the national hive is that it's complicated and does need a few woodworking skills but once mastered they are relatively easy easy to build

:iagree:These are the one's I give to our beginners requesting plans.

Isn't the "British Standard Modified Beehive" just another name for the "British National"?

Well yes although the modern BS national is a mod of an older design !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't the "British Standard Modified Beehive" just another name for the "British National"?

What is called a "National" is actually the modified national.
The original national (still some around but no longer offered by any manufacturer that I know of) has double walls on the frame rail sides.

It is the British Standard Modified Beehive which I am basing my design on.

The Modified and original don't actually differ in internal dimensions or overall external dimensions.

What you didn't mention was that your interest was in plastic product design, rather than DIY carpentry ... :)

Latest posts

Back