National frame % sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone have a quick answer on % dec/inc in size for national frames.

ie super = 40%, standard deep = 100%, extra deep = %130

Save me getting a calculator out.

ta

Jez

You lazy bugger you . . . Next you'll be telling me that it's too cold to be reading the bees their bedtime story. :)

:) made me laugh, I know, its taken me longer to type the request than it would to just do it !!!

You could probably compare thorne prices - they usually give nothing away.

So wahat had this got to do with super foundation? You do complicate your maths!

Remember to that outside cells are less likely to be used for brood rearing than middle cells so the useful area is not quite in the same ratio as frame size or foundation size - perimeter of a rectangle is larger than a square (or circle) and all that. So your 'equivalent' might be right for area but not necessarily for anything else.

Regards, RAB

:) just curious, the supers are only relevant for over wintering, I was really just comparing cell space with deep and standard brood frames. Have some 6 frame nucs that could be made into deep framed, so maybe stronger in Winter too.

So far the nuc in the garden seems to be doing fine. No guarantee for winter survival yet, of course. It is on 14 x 12s with a super above, so plenty of grub and plenty of space above the part OMF - for them to retreat from the colder parts.

Regards, RAB

So far the nuc in the garden seems to be doing fine. No guarantee for winter survival yet, of course. It is on 14 x 12s with a super above, so plenty of grub and plenty of space above the part OMF - for them to retreat from the colder parts.

Regards, RAB

can you clarify "part OMf"

just that my 14x12 Nuc has a omf floor under the whole box...and i 've always thought it too cold in winter

How much of the floor is OMF on your Nuc, i was thinking of 2/3rd OMF 1/3rd board at front or 1/4 board 1/2 OMF 1/4 Board

can you clarify "part OMf"

Not really a clue! I cut largish holes in the solid floor and covered with mesh. Might be up to a third or more, probably not half.

The hive is presently stood on a sheet of something with a couple of battens under (one each end) to raise it a little, so well protected from direct draught. Remind me again later in the year and I will have a look. All I know is I could see a pile of fresh cell cappings under one of the holes last time I looked.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back