• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

National equipment gathering dust?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
Has anyone gone poly and got some national kit sitting there doing nothing?

I need to get at least another hive together for spring and have just missed out on one on ebay.

I don't mind if you only have bits? Brood, floor and roof in cedar is my goal and I'll pick up the rest wherever I can, But if you have any of those and are In the London/south Essex/north Kent areas, I'd be interested.

If you're further afield and have a load of stuff, I' d look to send a courier.

Let me know if you've got stuff, what you have and what you'd let it go for and take comfort from reducing my 2011 to-do list.

TVM

for the price of a corrier you could make a ply wood hive let alone the costs of ceder, personaly i would suggest that you get hold of one of the many hive makers on this forum and seewhat their prices are. i am pretty sure they would see you right for a lot less than Th**nes will and with better quality

Anybody want to build me some cedar Langstroth hives for less than the cost of Thornes??

I know, but if there is a mismatch between forum members, what better way to resolve it than through the board?

what does that mean? confused.

there are sales all over the country at present, imho people downscale in late Summer (Winter preps etc) or in Spring (when they realise what they lost) -cant see many stepping forward in Nov/Dec.

the other place to go is e-bay, most second hand kit on there is what you are after I guess

Given your extensive answer, you can't have been that confused, jedz.

I take your point about summer, but now is a time people may be reassessing their requirements for the next year. In fact, the line you quoted alluded to the slim possibility of getting anything and quite simply, shy bairns get no tea.

Winter is also a time when people may switch hive types or decide to replace some for the sheer hell of it, so why not now?

And while there may be sales "all over the country", none of them are very near me and I'm not able to get to any of them in any case, so that rather puts the kaibosh on that.

I will look at the online sale, but I thought I'd see if anyone did have anything knocking around on the off chance.

for the price of a corrier you could make a ply wood hive

Ah, but I have neither the tools, nor the workspace to be able to fashion such an item, Pete, even if I had the skills to do it.

I dare say I could make a decent fist of it, but I with the exception of working with rough sawn wood in terms of making raised beds or putting together a shed/repairing a fence, I have ZERO woodworking experience.

i would suggest that you get hold of one of the many hive makers on this forum and seewhat their prices are. i am pretty sure they would see you right for a lot less than Th**nes will and with better quality

But who are they, Pete? Do we have a list of those with interests on the forum?

Try Hivemaker (get it?) and Tom Bick.
Send them a pm.

Back