National deep box to hedgehog nest?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hedgehogs prefer old feed sacks fallen behind log store 🙄 had one have a litter of 4 in that location last year. I've had them nest up in stuffed sacks with straw in as well. So basically any nook or cranny will help

The Hedgy in my garden went natural and simply made a nest under my shed of mainly nice dried leaves.

Being nocturnal they tend to be quite secretive, my neighbour noticed one out early this year because their cat was causing a scene at the patio door and the hedgy was seen scuttling off through the fence in to my garden.
My ginger tom often paws at the glass but I assume foxy is teasing him but tbh don't look.

Last time I actually saw one in the garden (several years ago) was a mating pair making a racket near my garden hive, a shallow scrape was formed and they were coupled in the scrape. Apart from finding the used nest site under the moved shed, all I know is that one at least is around and probably there always is one in my locale..
I have three raised sheds so plenty of dry places where they can shelter and form a home if they wish. I keep a wood pile for the wood to rot down and to create a habitat for insects to proliferate and within the wood pile there is a space and access for one to enter.

A lot of the gardens my way have concrete lintel bases and fences on top with no access through, in my garden any hedgy's have good access to both neighbours with living copper beech hedging and importantly a habitat corridor at the end which is the railway embankment. The foxes steal any cat food food for hedgy so I scatter a few calci worms amongst the wood pile and under the sheds this gives them a chance to find it along with the secretive Jenny's in the garden.

Foxy I don't discourage as the rat population are kept low and I haven't see a ratty for some years. I don't clear any leaves until the new year when they should be in hibernation.

Mealworms are a no no.

I feed our resident Robin(s) with just a few mealworms, as appropriate. Had one nearly feeding out of my hand at the garden, before I gave it up. No point in putting down too many - or the rats would be cleaning them up.

For my wildlife dry food I use Chubby mealworms and also buy crickets and silkworm pupae as they also go down a treat with the birds.

Latest posts

Back