National Crown Board Design

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which type of airflow do you think provides the optimum environment for honeybees?

• Traditional Bottom to Top

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Convection Airflow

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • NO Airflow

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sad to say I do think this forum has taken a turn for the worse when it comes to censorship this past couple of months. Admittedly my principle way of access is reviewing the daily email of updates rather than seeing which section each post has been made in but if anyone is put off by any of the content in any of the posts I've been interested enough to read I think I'd rather take the Groucho Marx approach of "I'd never join a club that would have me as a member".

What censorship?

Do I live in an alternate universe and have missed thousands of posts?
I feel entitled to read them - except if they are personal abuse directed at me in which case censorship is 100% correct. :devilish:

Perhaps censorship was the wrong choice of word but there has certainly been more heavy handed modding recently with threads closed down and the setting up of the snowflake free zone.

My inspection trays are a couple of inches below the floor and enable me to keep an eye on what's happening up top without actually looking in.
Having them so far below makes absolute sense, what confuses me is those who use the Thornes style floor with an inspection board about 10mm below the mesh but keep it in all the time

No - another myth, OMF has little to do with varroa control (apart from being a very inefficient way of monitoring mite levels) it's all to do with air circulation and temperature balance.
The varroa control myth was just propagated to encourage beekeepers to try OMF as there was a reluctance amongst beekeepers to try it. (are you surprised at beekeepers being reluctant to try something new?!)

I've only been keeping bees about 14 years but I was taught it was a varroa control measure - the idea being any that fall off bees and through the mesh can't get back in. I must admit to never really having considered the practicalities of how effective that would be. Without wanting to hijack the thread any further or go down another rabbit hole (I've seen that thread) it does seem strange to replace matchsticks with an OMF to improve ventilation when bees don't naturally have OMF in trees etc

.........) it does seem strange to replace matchsticks with an OMF to improve ventilation when bees don't naturally have OMF in trees etc

:iagree: ......although I understand all that stuff about convection-currents etc. blah-de-blah...... :)

Perhaps censorship was the wrong choice of word but there has certainly been more heavy handed modding recently with threads closed down and the setting up of the snowflake free zone.
Threads get closed ..... but not deleted when folk get angry and the same thing is said angrily...... repeatedly... by different posters. Some people can’t abide not having the last word and if they are all on the same thread?

Latest posts

Back