National bait hive ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi is there any reason why i can’t set up a national brood box as a bait hive then just take the whole thing to the apiary once a swarms been caught and let them carry on in there ?
thanks

I have done just that.
My bait hives are 8 frame Paynes 14x12
The floor is either solid or a mesh floor with a removable insert that shuts it off completely and can be removed from the outside plus an inspection tray that can be fitted below it. Both are UFE with a removable entrance block to reduce the entrance
Do consider the biosecurity aspect of quarantine, though

You can. Usually the bait hive will only have a couple old manky drawn combs in it to give the swarm the room they look for. But once in the box you could add the rest of the frames, or wait until it’s in the apiary. Folks say a brood box is the “right size” for swarm catching.

You can. Usually the bait hive will only have a couple old manky drawn combs in it to give the swarm the room they look for. But once in the box you could add the rest of the frames, or wait until it’s in the apiary. Folks say a brood box is the “right size” for swarm catching.
Yes. I put one old (but not manky) comb in and two foundation free frames in. As soon as a swarm is in more frames get added

Pop a couple of straps underneath ready so you can clamp it all together with minimal disturbance .
Solid floor is said to be the preferred option but there's volumes written on bait hives - much of which is ignored by the bees.
Have you not got a chimney they could use? ;)

No problems with a nat brood as a bait hive. Also as others have said a few frames with starter strips or old comb cut back is said to be preferred.

Hi is there any reason why i can’t set up a national brood box as a bait hive then just take the whole thing to the apiary once a swarms been caught and let them carry on in there ?
thanks

If you want the easiest option, make sure the whole hive is full of frames. If not, you will have to get in there quickly to stop them building wild comb in the space where there are no frames.

If you want the easiest option, make sure the whole hive is full of frames. If not, you will have to get in there quickly to stop them building wild comb in the space where there are no frames.

Other threads have discussed the idea of using frames with starter strips (with an old brood frame at one end if you wish), so the scouts still perceive the space to be a single large volume. I've never tried it, but I believe other posters do it that way and I might well give it a go.

James

Other threads have discussed the idea of using frames with starter strips (with an old brood frame at one end if you wish), so the scouts still perceive the space to be a single large volume. I've never tried it, but I believe other posters do it that way and I might well give it a go.

James

Absolutely. This is what I do.

James
Me too. One starter/one brood comb/one starter.

Latest posts

Back