Nadir (fashionable word?)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all go nadir one day. That is what I know

We all go nadir one day. That is what I know

Just a question out of curiosity - I've always wondered are you trying to teach your hive to 'fetch' in your avatar - word of advice from a person whose grandfather kept both bees and gundogs (as well as poultry,waterfowl, pigs, racehorses and cows) - you'd have better results with a springer spaniel (Welsh or English) :D

Last edited:
I am teaching it how to protect me in case of a welsh invasion. No. People take pictures in the funniest situations. But it's a hive I built entirely from an old bed when I started. I am still proud of it even I use mostly nationals. Have a look at priono.co.UK to see how I built it

Why is this word now appearing on this forum all the time? It was hardly ever used on here until recently and now it's in every other post. Showing off I recon.
Nadir def.
"The lowest or most unsuccessful point in a situation"

Surely the new thing that forumites have invented is using nadir as a verb rather than a (OED) noun?

Just a question out of curiosity - I've always wondered are you trying to teach your hive to 'fetch' in your avatar - word of advice from a person whose grandfather kept both bees and gundogs (as well as poultry,waterfowl, pigs, racehorses and cows) - you'd have better results with a springer spaniel (Welsh or English) :D

I thought he was giving them a quick floss!
E

Yes I do actually. All that sugar isn't good for the gums

Our local MP is called Nadir but he's apparently a "High Flier"???

Nadiring is natural.
Doesnt matter what size the box is..
Doesnt matter what you call the box.

If you had a box of brood and put an empty box on top of it and an empty box underneath, where would the bees build new comb for new brood?

Anyway, back to the thread, I 'nadired' a super yesterday, then went to put the brood on top. Just a heads up, there may be comb built from the bottom of the frames, so tip up the brood box and cut if off! Actually I had an eke for apiguard between brood and super, no sign of extra comb on the top bars, but there was plenty built down from the frames.

Actually I had an eke for apiguard between brood and super,
Would have been better to have the apiguard right on top of the hive - theory is that as the bees try and get rid of the stuff by passing down the hive the gel gets everywhere - higher up it is, more of the hive it has to pass through.

I had apiguard in an eke on top of the brood frames. Near to the bees as poss. Yes they did put brace comb on the undersides of the super frames and had begun filling it with nectar/sugar solution.

The apiguard was all gone so I removed the empty tray and the eke, then cut the brace comb off and put it in the empty feeder. Now they have put their stores in the right place and there is no messy brace comb to get in the way when I nadir.

That lot are not getting any more syrup. They have enough stores now.

That is why you cannot call a shallow honey box a super if it is put beneath the brood box. Super - when above. Not a super when below!

And it is definitely not a super when used as a brood box! But deeps and even 14 x 12s can be used as supers. Get the terminology right and everyone should be in no doubt as to what you actually mean. Sloppy nomenclature is the excuse of the don't knows, and even though the likes of Hooper were not that learned!

Given the day job, correct use of language is important to me. But I sometimes write with a biro made by Bic, and vacuum the living room with a hoover made by Dyson (note the lower case for "biro" and "hoover"). And if the box of frames that I put on the hive is a shallow, it's a super, no matter where it goes. There are some words that we use incorrectly, but that we all understand.

It's only the academics who quibble.

Is there any record of "nadir" being used for any box (other than Warre) before the last few years?

MAFF Advisory Leaflet 367 "The British National Hive" is about as definitive as it gets as far as naming parts of the "National" are concerned. From the 1961 version (the earliest I can see available online):

"The hive consists of a floor with an entrance block, one or more deep boxes serving as a brood chamber, a crownboard and a roof. For the storage of surplus honey, "supers" in the form of deep or shallow boxes, or section racks are added above the brood chamber."
The orthodox term for the box defined by their depth is shallow or deep. If they are put above the brood to store honey they are "supers", the quotes suggest that's not the formal term. If one of these boxes is filled with honey over the brood and then moved under as a winter store most would still refer to it as "the super". It's shallow in most cases, and in the absence of other clues that's a reasonable assumption, as is the "brood" box being a deep. If you want to be explicit, as the leaflet does later, it's a "shallow super". There's no mention of "nadir" in the National definition, the popular books only mention "nadiring" as in Warre where it's a long term position underneath. Referring to a National hive (or anything other than a Warre), "nadir" seems to be a fairly recent coining.

Latest posts

Back