Nadir (fashionable word?)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Why is this word now appearing on this forum all the time? It was hardly ever used on here until recently and now it's in every other post. Showing off I recon.

Nadir def.
"The lowest or most unsuccessful point in a situation"

The nadir (from Arabic: نظير‎ / ALA-LC: naẓīr, meaning "opposite") is the direction pointing directly below a particular location; that is, it is one of two vertical directions at a specified location, orthogonal to a horizontal flat surface there. Since the concept of being below is itself somewhat vague, scientists define the nadir in more rigorous terms. Specifically, in astronomy, geophysics and related sciences (e.g., meteorology), the nadir at a given point is the local vertical direction pointing in the direction of the force of gravity at that location. The direction opposite of the nadir is the zenith.

I had to look it up to give the proper definition I confess but knew the meaning as it is used in celestial navigation (something i dabbled with in another 'life' :D

So in beekeeping it means to put the shallow box directly opposite the (super) top i.e. underneath

Ahh, I get it... I will be Zenithing my hives in the spring then?

Yup, I was aware of it from my interest in astronomy.

the lowest or most unsuccessful point in a situation.
the point on the celestial sphere directly below an observer.
Medieval Latin nadir, from Arabic نَظِيرُ السَّمْت

Jaysus youre a bunch of clever dudes !

Knew I shoulda listened more in school instead of staring out the window at Birds ( feathered ) ! :)

To me it's all a load of codswallop.

If I order a National super from any beekeeping supplier I know exactly what I will get.

As far as I'm concerned it is a super no matter where I put it.

If its name is position dependant then how should I address the pile of empty ones stacked up for winter??

Bottom one nadir, next one up pennadir, etc up to zenith at the top!!

That is why you cannot call a shallow honey box a super if it is put beneath the brood box. Super - when above. Not a super when below!

And it is definitely not a super when used as a brood box! But deeps and even 14 x 12s can be used as supers. Get the terminology right and everyone should be in no doubt as to what you actually mean. Sloppy nomenclature is the excuse of the don't knows, and even though the likes of Hooper were not that learned!

Jaysus youre a bunch of clever dudes !

Knew I shoulda listened more in school instead of staring out the window at Birds ( feathered ) ! :)
LOL you and me both!

Not much nadiring going on in the summer unless you run Warres; late summer/autumn is the time which is why it's appearing in posts now......clear?

Why is a box under the brood box not an infra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it's all a load of codswallop.

If I order a National super from any beekeeping supplier I know exactly what I will get.

As far as I'm concerned it is a super no matter where I put it.

Actually, the box you have been using as a super is a 'shallow'.

No matter where you put it. :rolleyes:

JohnyP

I was also wondering why 'nadir' was suddenly appearing so often - we all know what it means but it's not previously been used on this forum with such vigour

It is a strange word that for me does not roll off the tongue although it is a single word that is apt for putting a super below the brood box

Back