Mystery nibbler!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have our milk delivered - silver tops usually. We don't go cheapie with supermarket stuff which ruins other peoples livelihoods. Believe in use it or lose it as wife and I get increasingly infirm out here in the sticks.
Its wonderful that you are able to make the choice; all too frequently the supermarket is the only source left.

Nowadays we have newcomers complaining about the free biodegradable green fertiliser whereas once ladies would scuttle out to collect the droppings to nourish the roses in their gardens.🤔

Ladies, Roses? - that's posh. In our street of terrace houses in Co Durham, collecting horse poo was very competitive. When the milkman or coal cart came into view we'd rush out with bucket and shovel and hope to be the first to scoop up the poo and take it up the road to our allotment.

Its wonderful that you are able to make the choice; all too frequently the supermarket is the only source left.
yes, the last milkman in the area packed in his round a few years ago (third generation of the Moses family to keep the round) he was from the neighbouring village as the person who eventually had my father's round packed it in years ago, we used a new service from a few miles away not long ago, the delivery was only twice weekly but as we don't consume a massive amount of milk it was manageable, apart from the fact (as we found out later) they were sourcing their milk from a dairy in Newtown eighty odd miles away!! which made a mockery of carbon footprint and we found often that the milk delivered Thursday usually turned by Sunday morning.
Since then though a fairly local dairy farm has set up a self service vending machine in Amanford, not ideal being a six mile round trip but as SWMBO and I pass there a few times a week it's no extra mileage and at least we are using the same bottles each time - we also get milk for SWMBO's grandmother as we are there.

yes, the last milkman in the area packed in his round a few years ago (third generation of the Moses family to keep the round) he was from the neighbouring village as the person who eventually had my father's round packed it in years ago, we used a new service from a few miles away not long ago, the delivery was only twice weekly but as we don't consume a massive amount of milk it was manageable, apart from the fact (as we found out later) they were sourcing their milk from a dairy in Newtown eighty odd miles away!! which made a mockery of carbon footprint and we found often that the milk delivered Thursday usually turned by Sunday morning.
Since then though a fairly local dairy farm has set up a self service vending machine in Amanford, not ideal being a six mile round trip but as SWMBO and I pass there a few times a week it's no extra mileage and at least we are using the same bottles each time - we also get milk for SWMBO's grandmother as we are there.
Yes I hate travelling an 8 mile round trip to get milk ! I no longer even try to source real milk, we have sadly converted to UHT/long life:censored::censored: and buy it in litre boxes - thats capitalist progress for you. The nearest dairy farm is less than 100metres away, but I cant buy from them, it all goes by road for god knows how many miles to be "processed" and then sent out as fresh milk.

Yes I hate travelling an 8 mile round trip to get milk ! I no longer even try to source real milk, we have sadly converted to UHT/long life:censored::censored: and buy it in litre boxes - thats capitalist progress for you. The nearest dairy farm is less than 100metres away, but I cant buy from them, it all goes by road for god knows how many miles to be "processed" and then sent out as fresh milk.
Have a word with them.
I get milk from my neighbour for cheese no problem.

This nibbler is not quite as much of a mystery!

32ACBF82-39A7-4623-B04E-0BE373A11259.JPG
I really should have got those guards on earlier - 3 weeks in hospital really knocks you out of routine!

No real damage done as the cluster was in the brood box but I bet that caused a draught!

Last edited:
This nibbler is not quite as much of a mystery!

View attachment 29418
I really should have got those guards on earlier - 3 weeks in hospital really knocks you out of routine!

No real damage done as the cluster was in the brood box but I bet that cased a draught!
They chewed a hole in your super! I don't think mouseguards would have stopped that - what did it?

Re milk. We nip up to the local farm who sells unpasteurised milk. My wife had gastric problems for years. Read that pasteurised milk could be a problem. Swapped to this and it went overnight. Amazing! Lovely milk too. Straight from the cow with no messing around!

We didn’t have milk delivered when I was young. It came straight out of the churn, after being cooled. One uncle used to dink a whole quart of warm milk, straight from the milking machine bucket (or churn) every morning when he visited.

One advantage was when milk was in short supply, and schools were provided with 1/3rd pint bottles of orange drink instead of milk, I could always have the orange alternative.🙂

wonder what woodpecker tastes like?
Pigeon barbecued chinese style much better. Out on site with HK Public Works engineer was invited to his favourite restaurant in New territories (circa 1975). So delicious I took two home in a doggy bag for my kids. Sadly HK all gone as I/we knew it. Great people.

We didn’t have milk delivered when I was young. It came straight out of the churn, after being cooled. One uncle used to dink a whole quart of warm milk, straight from the milking machine bucket (or churn) every morning when he visited.

One advantage was when milk was in short supply, and schools were provided with 1/3rd pint bottles of orange drink instead of milk, I could always have the orange alternative.🙂
Churn or cardboard capped milk bottles when I was nipper too; also bread, meat & fish and veggies deliveries at regular intervals if one couldn't make the shops in the village. Also had little bottles (1 gill?) of milk at secondary Grammar school 1945-51 surplus that I could help them use up ad lib as some kids didn't bother with it even though free!!

Re milk. We nip up to the local farm who sells unpasteurised milk. My wife had gastric problems for years. Read that pasteurised milk could be a problem. Swapped to this and it went overnight. Amazing! Lovely milk too. Straight from the cow with no messing around!
We take kefir for digestion is brilliant and boosts gut bacteria

We take kefir for digestion is brilliant and boosts gut bacteria
awful in your tea though
Never seen to have any issues with bacteria in my guts (especially on a Sunday morning 😁

Latest posts

Back