Mylar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Now it's been a while since i have had any ideas that some may say are stupid :D So i have been thinking about using the mylar as a insulate on my hives. It holds heat in very well also infrared.
Apart from a shinny hive sitting in the field reflecting in the sun light
any thoughts on this.

Are you expecting an Arctic winter on the Isle of Wight this year?

Not sure why you would want/need to insulate a hive anyway?

Have you considered a little heater in the hive with say 30-40 thousand little hot water bottles and bed socks?

Every little helps :D

How about treating you and your bee's to a winter holiday.....down on the equator some place,not that far from isle of wight is it.....lol.

Finman will accommodate you :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:
John Wilkinson

Up in the frozen north (Lancs) I've had the winter "quilts" on - old bedsheets folded under the roof. It's been so awful up here on and off for weeks now. Whether necessary or not it's livened up the weak nucs (or should I say beetainers (HT Oliver).

Some of the more credible forecasters, not the Met office, think there might be another bad winter.

Awful ? my bees were hammering the balsam 1/2 an hr ago :D

John Wilkinson
Wigan got thrashed by Blackpool 4 nil in bright sunshine :eek:.
Are you on top of Pendle hill ? :D

Awful ? my bees were hammering the balsam 1/2 an hr ago :D

John Wilkinson
Wigan got thrashed by Blackpool 4 nil in bright sunshine :eek:.
Are you on top of Pendle hill ? :D

Stick to Rugby John it's safer.:driving:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

It may be poor weather for a while from next week. My genuine concern is that, whereas weak, but otherwise potentially successful, "nucs" maybe condemned by this. Mine are going like trains, bringing in loads of balsam pollen (and some orange stuff - ?what, although it doesn't really matter) but when I looked a few days ago they were really short on stores and are only making up the shortfall. After investing some effort in getting them going it seems sensible to help ,them out a bit.

The strong hives are left to their own devices.

How did it go Hedgerow Pete ?
Did it make any difference overall.

Latest posts

Back