My very first lot of honey :-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am worrying about it though as it seems so pale. Also it is clear but I can see fine particles in it. Are these pollen particles?
I should imagine its mainly OSR with some sycamore. I'm so worried not it's ok but it tastes lovely :confused:
Should I keep it to give back to the bees at a later date or is it ok?

I use a 200 micron filter and dont get any bits that are viewable but it leaves the pollen grains in.
Looks like wax or bubbles to me. Nice colour on the honey.
Put the jar on top of a torch and you will be able to see if it is wax particles.

Last edited:
I use a 200 micron filter and dont get any bits that are viewable but it leaves the pollen grains in.
Looks like wax or bubbles to me. Nice colour on the honey.
Put the jar on top of a torch and you will be able to see if it is wax particles.

I thought bubbles until they haven't floated up. Would wax float also?
Will try a torch, but what am I looking for?
Is the colour ok then? I thought it looked to pale

Extraction, filtering, settling tank and finally bottling.

Did you just go straight from filtering to the jar Steve or did you put the honey into a settling tank for 24-48 hours to let the bubbles and bits of wax float to the top.

Extraction, filtering, settling tank and finally bottling.

Did you just go straight from filtering to the jar Steve or did you put the honey into a settling tank for 24-48 hours to let the bubbles and bits of wax float to the top.

Been in a settling tank all week... with the lid tight on I must add. All looked fine till I held it up to the light

There is nothing wrong with that at all. It is pollen, it is light but some honeys are, it will probably darken with age and if it OSR it may not. As long as the water content is good eat it and enjoy. It will set after time.
E

No one said there was anything wrong with it, the OP was asking what it was.

No one said there was anything wrong with it, the OP was asking what it was.

His first words are 'i am worrying about it' maybe I should have said 'nothing to worry about' sorry, I wasn't being patronising just saying....looks fine to me!
E
:sorry:

His first words are 'i am worrying about it' maybe I should have said 'nothing to worry about' sorry, I wasn't being patronising just saying....looks fine to me!
E
:sorry:

It's what I wanted to hear Enrico...that there's nothing wrong with it so thank you for that :)

Dont be sorry(was not having a go honest) I bet it is the best honey they have tasted it always is when its from your own bees

Been in a settling tank all week... with the lid tight on I must add. All looked fine till I held it up to the light

In that case Steve best if you send me a jar or two and subject to rigorous testing. :drool5:

There's nothing like your first honey!

In our first year we got half a jar, which we used to show to people (but not eat - we didn't have enough for that kind of luxury!), so you've done much better than we did.

Yours looks like the load we extracted last weekend, which looked like the load we extracted same time (well a few weeks earlier) last year.

We're still eating last year's which we like. It all set quickly in the jar (not surprisingly, given how much osr we have round us) and now has the consistency of soft fudge. Spectacular on hot toast.

There's nothing like your first honey!

In our first year we got half a jar, which we used to show to people (but not eat - we didn't have enough for that kind of luxury!), so you've done much better than we did.

Yours looks like the load we extracted last weekend, which looked like the load we extracted same time (well a few weeks earlier) last year.

We're still eating last year's which we like. It all set quickly in the jar (not surprisingly, given how much osr we have round us) and now has the consistency of soft fudge. Spectacular on hot toast.

It's funny, I enjoy my bees so much I forgot about the honey part of it and really didn't think I'd get any in my first year. Would be nice if I get some more and see how the summer honey is different. So much more to bee keeping than I ever imagined. I can't even walk down the street now without thinking "are my bees on that plant" and when I see them I'm pretty sure they are mine as I haven't seen one where I live for a very long time before now

Make sure you keep a jar to compare with other honey you get

Latest posts

Back