My Princess may be under the OMF - HELP!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Having a fit of old age (rather early) I opened up the wrong colony today!!
Out flew my new Princess onto my hand and then she flew off. I watched but with so many bees flying it was difficult to keep the Princess in view. I closed the colony up after 10 mins. An hour later lots of bees are flying under the OMF instead of into the hive entrance. Could Princess Bee be under the floor, if so what should I do? Will the workers guide her back? Oh help!!!!!! She is my best looking Princess, from my best breeder Q and I don't want to lose her.
PS When does that Alzheimer thing kick in? I'm too young to turn into my mum and gran!!!

I would definitely intervene.

Take the hive apart and try to coax her onto the combs.

They will more likely build comb under the floor rather than guide her back into the hive.

Take off roof. turn upside down.

Place brood box on roof. (Put sups if any on another roof if you have one)

Lift floor and peep under it to see what is there, and if a clump of bees then a quick thump with your hand and they will drop into the brood box.

Reassemble.

Take lesson on board. Check twice open once... LOL

PH

Phew.......
ThanKs for the help, I'd already thought I should do something BUT not panic!!!!!
Took apart and underneath NO Princess just a couple of fitties (drones) and some workers; a few fighting on the slabs so maybe there was some spilt nectar, I usually swill down under the hives with the hose after inspections but this time of course I didn't. I presume (hope) that Princess Sparkles made it back safely......
How CAN you confuse Hive 4 and Nuc Box 24 and I was looking at the hive logs??????
Shhhhhhhh......Good thing the old chaps I mentor didn't see me.

Oh well another day of beekeeping gone; off to teach my mum to Zumba and maybe my gran?

this is what happens when you princess get established under the omf

9ulsop.jpg

Last edited:
nice example, cheers

Latest posts

Back