My pesticide lunch

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I was in Bristol today having lunch and talking about this same subject pesticides to the brother in law, on the next table was a party of 8 allotment holders having there charismas dinner and discussing the running of the allotments.
I am explaining my opinion to brother in law. The fellow at the side of me on the other table tapped me on the shoulder excused himself from hearing what we were talking about and asked me what the BBKA was.
I explained its beekeeping bla bla, ?BUT I heard you say they are supporting the use of pesticides? YES not all only selected brands. Well we spent the next hour discussing pesticide.
NOW they told me they were so freaked out with the manure, they have voted anonymously against local farm manure.
They now buy YES buy from an organic farm 15 mile away.
According to them,
Farms using a type of 5 year pesticide has ruined allotment for the next 5 years ?HOW? taking manure that has been treated with a 5 year action pesticide on grass.
Farm Animals the cows birds sheep drop there dung back on the land
Contaminated manure go back fields, on allotments in a big contaminated circle.
What happens to the bees that visit the clover?

All the best mike

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The Soil Assoc have recently published a full report on the contaminated crops :- that were fed to cows that spoiled the dung that went on the heaps that was sold to the allotment holder that grew weird crops that could not be eaten!!!!:puke:
But we knew about it before then.
And the bees - well who knows- nobody thinks it worth researching - just keep on polluting :ack2::ack2::ack2::ack2::ack2::ack2:

:willy_nilly:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Agreed just keep on using,then spend loads of money carrying out surveys to find out why butterflys,bumblebees,birds and countless other kinds of wildlife are declining or becoming extinct,when its really so obvious.Some of us have been saying this for years.but not loud enough.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Rachel Carson said it in the 60's in "Silent Spring"
Despite a concerted campaign by the forces of darkness to discredit the book, it's still widely sold, and worth a read!:)
http://www.enotes.com/silent-spring

Last edited:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Maybe thats why Prince Charles keeps going around saying "I told you so years ago but you all thought I was mad".

artibaton 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
no no admin charles is definately mad....inbreeding issues i think

but more seriously, the issue with manure is a serious one and more needs to be done about it especially as itll all end up back on the field one way or another.

pesticidal manure...........never thought id see the day:toetap05:

James Fischer 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Was 500 - Now only a few dozen
Does anyone have any hard numbers to attach to the tale?

Parts per trillion?
Parts per billion?
Parts per million?

I know that the whole "organic" movement is not really concerned
about levels, as they persist in believing that they can keep things
"pure" even though every raindrop can be contaminated by all those
coal-fired power plants.

The nectar from the clover might contain traces of this and that, but
again, it would be a matter of levels.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Why cows will not die when they eat contaminated food?

What about calves? Are they OK?

Biobee stories.......

Many pectisides will be destroyed in the morning in sunlight.

Last edited:

Norton 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
My Pesticide Lunch

Hello,
Although most do not know it, I am a keen entomologist and have spent years studying the taxonomics of African butterflies. At one stage I was made a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society because I had a reached a level that enabled this. I stopped the fellowship after 10 years due to very high subscription costs.
One of my mentors is Dr. Arthur Rydon of Sussex - we have been friends since 1973 and I called him yesterday to wish him happy birthday on his 89th birthday. He has lived in the same house since the mid-60's and has noticed, over the past 6 to 7 years, a severe decline in the number of butterflies in his garden. This despite the fact that the general environment is much better now for butterflies than it was 40 years ago in that there are more larval foodplants and more nectar bearing plants for the adults to feed on.
Spraying might not be as obvious now as it was 30 or 40 years ago. By this I mean that aerial spraying is not allowed and farmers seem to be more responsible in where they actually spray insecticides and when and how they apply them. But it does seem that the chemicals in use now have a much more sinister effect.
The chemical companies are extremely powerful - they have a lot of financial punch- and as we have seen are not above providing financial sponsorship to even the most likely opponents in order to keep them quiet. They also provide scientist with research funds to produce results in their favour.
They are difficult to fight without some sort of organised stance.
Best regards
Norton.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Finman, sunlight cannot destroy poison if it is on the seed dressing,it remains in the soil for a long time.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Pesticides are not sprayed on grass. . . . . you are talking about herbicides. . . . this is how rumours start. . . . (tut)

Broad leaved herbicides are sprayed on grazed grassland - to kill broad leaved weeds such as buttercup (poisonous to livestock) nettles (nothing eats nettles until it has withered) docks (nothing eats docks) and thistles (nothing eats until withered). The said HERBICIDE was sprayed and passed through the dung and subsequent crops were deformed in some way. The herbicide has (I think) been withdrawn.

Nothing to do with pesticides.

Frisbee

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Well, to put these things in perspective, I recently looked up the EU-allowed pesticides on just sugar-beet - from recollection something over 160 "icides" are allowed to be used on it. It is then prepared by an incredibly "industrial" process which has little bearing on what most of us would think of as "food" - also there is every chance that it could be grossly contaminated by GMOs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Beet
read it and weep! - This is just one commonly grown and used food item - look at the content of your freezer and larder (and perhaps a swift look through the allowed "icides" register), and you rapidly get to realise that we live in a chemical smog - the air is filled with it, as are our watercourses, and that wonderful living cocktail that makes soil fertility is rapidly being replaced with sterile wastelands, planted with monocultures subsisting on a cocktail of lethal poisons. No wonder all wild life is rapidly disappearing!

The chemical companies have a virtual "blanket cover" of power and influence, and have long hushed up their worst travesties until the body-count gets too large for even them to hush up (organo-phosphates are one of the best known). They "own" virtually all government agricultural departments, and they supply the US based Neocon lobbying companies with nearly limitless funds to perpetuate their evil influence.

A swift word for Prince Charles.. to my mind, one of the most underestimated, misunderstood, and undervalued people around - he has had probably one of the most difficult jobs in the world that would have found lesser men indulging in a life of dissolution, but instead he's used what influence he has to do a great deal of good, from his award scheme (which has lifted many people from a life of crime into productive and fulfilling lives), to his tireless work in organics - and to his great credit, he's really "pushed his luck" in being a very loud voice in the battle against GM frankenfoods. Me, a fan? - very much so!
- given a free choice of another depraved government, or "King Charles in charge by popular acclaim"!, I know which I'd choose!

Having farmed myself, I know the incredible power and influence of the chemical lobby, I also know that it takes a real farmer, with proper knowledge of husbandry to farm organically - any eejit can do it chemically - for a short while, until they've totally destroyed the "heart" in their land.........

Beware too the siren song of the GM lobby - at the moment they are carrying out a campaign of some subtlety, trying to appeal to one's sense of "fair play" - the usual sort of line is "lets have an informed debate", then mutter weaselisms like "people should have the choice to eat GM "food" - totally conveniently overlooking the fact that if it is grown, GM contamination of surrounding crops completely removes the right of everyone to choose organic food. All of their claims have been proved to be utter bunk (http://www.soilassociation.org/
- it is a thinly disguised attempt by some powerful and amoral US corporations to gain control of every step of food production, and they are using every strongarm tactic going to propagate this evil technology!

Ultimately, we have to look at truly sustainable farming, which is organic - we cannot afford the high input chemical "farming" in the long-term, I just hope we have the sense to give the chemical wastelanders the boot before they have totally destroyed the fertility worldwide, and along with it, have been responsible for a total decimation of species - animal, insect, and ultimately - human!

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Blummin heck! Brosville when i said bang yer drum i ment try to leave a bit for us to moan at, you got the lot in one good on ya mate.
have a nice christmas and a dink on me.
beeks unite
allthe best mike

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hey Mike I read else where you are off on your hols? Are you off to see the lads in OZ?

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi Jim you are correct first time in 18 years, there will be staff looking after things. your orders have been well fed and watered medicated and wrapped up ready for my return in FEB but have no fear I be on the puter and can keep me eye on you lot from afar. Have a nice Christmas.
All the best mike

Latest posts