My most regular customer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What do you reply when, last week, your most regular customer, in this case Brenda (not her real name), returns a jar with a scoop of honey removed, saying that the honey is too sweet? For good measure she complained that the jar was 'too small' - I have recently changed from 16 to 12 oz jars so as to keep the price the same.

For many years Brenda would tell me that she buys all her honey in Tescos because she likes it best, but for the last year has patronised me via my sales box on the grass verge outside our house.
In this time she has returned quite a few jars with a scoop removed, most commonly because the honey is too hard or too runny. She has obviously been accustomed to the unchanging nature of the Tesco product.

Brenda is a lady with learning difficulties. She lives alone but has wide community support - and respect.

It just goes to show that we must realise that the customer is always right........

easy - keep all the jars she returns, pile them all into the warming cabinet until they reach her required density, top up the bottles with scoops removed and use those as her replacements.
More than one way to skin a fruitbat!

What do you reply when, last week, your most regular customer, in this case Brenda (not her real name), returns a jar with a scoop of honey removed, saying that the honey is too sweet? For good measure she complained that the jar was 'too small' - I have recently changed from 16 to 12 oz jars so as to keep the price the same.

For many years Brenda would tell me that she buys all her honey in Tescos because she likes it best, but for the last year has patronised me via my sales box on the grass verge outside our house.
In this time she has returned quite a few jars with a scoop removed, most commonly because the honey is too hard or too runny. She has obviously been accustomed to the unchanging nature of the Tesco product.

Brenda is a lady with learning difficulties. She lives alone but has wide community support - and respect.

It just goes to show that we must realise that the customer is always right........

It's good that you obviously show a lot of patience with "Brenda" and you deserve respect for that. But I hope this repeated abuse of your customer-service department doesn't leave you out of pocket.

She's a smart cookie for pulling you up on the "trick" of filling smaller jars. ;) Maybe you have some "taster" jars which would mean less wastage if one was returned to you. You might even have a few of them on rotation and could encourage her to return them empty and clean for refilling specifically for her?

It's good that you obviously show a lot of patience with "Brenda" and you deserve respect for that. But I hope this repeated abuse of your customer-service department doesn't leave you out of pocket.

She's a smart cookie for pulling you up on the "trick" of filling smaller jars. ;) Maybe you have some "taster" jars which would mean less wastage if one was returned to you. You might even have a few of them on rotation and could encourage her to return them empty and clean for refilling specifically for her?

Good thinking Beebe. Actually she's scrupulously honest but I suppose I'm slightly out of pocket. I'll try deploying one or other of JBM's suggestions first.

... For good measure she complained that the jar was 'too small' - I have recently changed from 16 to 12 oz jars so as to keep the price the same ....

I expect to be shot down in flames, but here goes: Although I understand the rationale behind it, I do find it difficult to justify the Toblerone method of producing a smaller bar and charging the same price. I would rather produce the 12oz jar and charge a bit less than for the 16oz jar; also offer the 16 oz jar at a slightly increased price. From these new bases the prices can be increased incrementally as required.

The same price for a smaller jar is difficult to justify to anyone without learning difficulties.

But I do applaud Amari's forebearance and public spirited approach to his most regular customer.

Maybe just buy some of the tresco honey she likes so much, put it in your jars and sell it on to her?
Your first suggestion was better. Mixing in trescos would require relabelling as a blended honey and undermine the brand both in quality and ethos.

I expect to be shot down in flames, but here goes: Although I understand the rationale behind it, I do find it difficult to justify the Toblerone method of producing a smaller bar and charging the same price. I would rather produce the 12oz jar and charge a bit less than for the 16oz jar; also offer the 16 oz jar at a slightly increased price. From these new bases the prices can be increased incrementally as required.
The same price for a smaller jar is difficult to justify to anyone without learning difficulties.

I see your point but many/most of my sales are passing trade = vehicles travelling to villages beyond. My thinking is that paying a fiver (putting a banknote down a drainpipe) is easy but having to find a bank note and coin(s) would deter customers.
I plead guilty to being too soft - local beeks are trying to reform me.....

Attachments

• 225AD702-F303-4FAE-8FA9-B42831DA929C.jpeg
    225AD702-F303-4FAE-8FA9-B42831DA929C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
  • 474C8F2F-3258-46B9-BC9C-33691F07705C_1_201_a.jpeg
    474C8F2F-3258-46B9-BC9C-33691F07705C_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
I see your point but many/most of my sales are passing trade = vehicles travelling to villages beyond. My thinking is that paying a fiver (putting a banknote down a drainpipe) is easy but having to find a bank note and coin(s) would deter customers.
I plead guilty to being too soft - local beeks are trying to reform me.....
Not being soft at all, being sensible and trying to adapt to your customer base.
Many of my chapel congregation buy my honey - my mother deals with the sales side there, and she just charges a straight fiver a jar for convenience, although it's more than that everywhere else, will be even more of a problem next month when my prices go up again!

That makes life difficult but, perhaps, you find the type of your honey that she really likes and say you will keep a stock of that specially for her but you can't put it in the honesty box as it is specially for her ... she has to knock on the door for it. Perhaps get her to taste a jar before she buys it ? More than one way of skinning a cat ....

Scrupulously honest, lives alone but with learning difficulties, your best customer- sounds pretty awesome. As long as she's buying more than she returns and it's not hurting you significantly, I'd keep doing what you're doing and going the extra mile. A bit more kindness in the world is rarely unwelcome. :)

Bless her and you. I am a trustee for a charity which works with people with learning disabilities. My son also has problems.
They may be disabled but are not stupid. They have taught me a lot.
I hope your relationship continues

i agree....bear with is the bottom line....more going on than the sweetness or consistency of the honey and inconsistency of customers, whoever they are (within reason), is life

In this time she has returned quite a few jars with a scoop removed...
... but has wide community support - and respect.

Can be a marketing opportunity if you can make a deal with Brenda, for example one free jar a month. In return you don't need to deal with any returned jars with scoops removed.

Latest posts

Back