My hive's swarmed: now what?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hive-got-bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
My hive swarmed on Sunday (20 May), but I don't think it's swarmed further as it's still fairly full (6 brood frames are well covered in bees) and there is one capped queen cell and several uncapped. I've read conflicting advice about what to do next. Should I cull all but two of the strongest queen cells to stop cast swarms? Alternatively, would it be feasible to remove one of the frames with a good QC on it and put it into a nuc with 2 more frames (with QCs removed), leaving another frame with QC and the rest of the frames in the original hive? Given that the hive has already swarmed, do I run the risk of having too few bees in the hive and the nuc to raise 2 new colonies?

Thanks for any advice.

You wouldn't expect a cast until the next queen hatches (six or seven days after the last one).

Two choices: remove ALL but one well-placed open QC containing a plump larva on plenty royal jelly (and mark the frame position with a drawing pin). Look very carefully.

Or leave the one capped one if you are sure you haven't shaken or knocked the frames.

Two risks a cast.

Or make a split into a nuc hive for added peace of mind. With two new queens you always have options.

Two way split means starting with two nuc sized colonies and less likelihood of a decent harvest from either.

A failed queen would mean buying in a replacement or waiting another several weeks if a frame of brood were added (along with the risk of a poorer queen).

Two queens may well make more brood than one; the better of the two can be chosen and do a unite for a strong colony later in the year.

Always options. Better to keep them open as long as necessary, IMO.

RAB

Latest posts

Back