my hive the other day.....video

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
this video is of one of my hives last week....this one was going mad and bee's everywhere while the other two had bee's flying ,there was not the same activity as this one....any ideas as to why or is it jus normal...it was a nice day and the temp was about 11c.....thanks....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-pEWo8XGM[/ame]

Are they being robbed ?

they are a very strong colony and i am very new to all this....would there not be alot of fighting and all at the door if they were?

my bee guru didnt see this but from what i told him,he siad that it was prob just that alot of young bees had hatched out...i moved this colony from a 5frame nuc 6 weeks ago and 4 of the frames where full of brood when i moved it and she was laying like mad up to recently,only this years queen..could this be what was going on?

I am new also , thats why i asked the question.
I'm sure someone will sort this out for you

Well, need a little more info.

Like strain (and compared to the other queens), preceding weather pattern, was this for a short period or all day?

As they look like they are a lot of bees orienting to the hive. I would take a stab and say it, a very strong colony with a prolific egg layer; the weather had been too cold to fly for the previous few days, so much more orienting activity in this hive than the others which had very much less brood emerging (about a fortnight, or so, ago).

Or maybe those other bees are a little more temperature tolerant and their newly flying bees were out on days when this hive wasn't flying?

Loads of pollen going in as well, so foraging strongly as well.

Or perhaps the other colonies need warmer conditions to fly.

Who knows? But a few ideas there.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
it was a great day all day,as for queen strain i really have no idea as this is my first year and as i caught this swarm late on in the year and havent even seen her yet let alone anything else.....what i am nearly 100% sure of is that all the bee's came from my first hive that i got in june and then it swarmed if thats any help....

if it is a swarm, then they could be local black bees adapted to the local temeprarture, and your others need a higher temperature to fly such as brown/orange italians

but it looks like orientation flights rather than robbing

Where is the opening to get in? Had you narrowed it recently cos they looked like they were trying to get in....also, what is that liquid on the left? I've got nothing in mind, I'm a new beek too, just being nosey lol

Had the same situation with my hives.

One very busy like that and the other one with nothing.
They have evened themselves out now tho.

Neither of them are doing anything....

the liquid that you see is dried woodstain from when i painted the hive and i put a strip of wood across the entrance to narrow it away down to stop mice and what ever else..but they have plenty of room and were even out flying on monday morning after the wild weather on sunday nite.

one my hives was the same a couple of weeks ago,while the hive next to it was dormant.is the small canopy over the entance something you have created?

Last edited:
yea the one next to it is a hive from thorns..i put the landing board and canopy over it myself.....is it a bad thing or what?

My Home hives behave in a similar fashion. What it appears to be for me, is that the foraging bees return to the hive at a similar time and it causes a bit of a jam at the entrance block. 15 minutes later they have calmed down a bit.

Sometimes I get all four hives doing it at the same time and it all gets a bit lively.

I'm bored....

Nothing to look at.

Keep looking at the observation hive but they aint doing much either.

Looks quite funny because when you can see an area of comb where they arent gathered quite so deep on the bottom frames, all you can see is bees bums poking out of cells.

Dont know if its a part of keeping warm...

No capped brood. Some uncapped honey, but it looks as if they might be using that first before they move upstairs and start on that lot, which some of them are still capping.

Back