My first year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige.Coll

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
some + a few more
I've spoken to lot of beekeepers and this year has been unusual to most.
Swarms have been ridiculous compared to other years and vorroa have gone mad.
I have no other years to compare it to but it has been a baptism of fire.
The amount of equipment i needed has wiped me out and the stress has been terrible.
The course didn't warn me of this , lol.

Went from 2 to 5 to ? to 16 +2 nucs some failed some didn't.
Everyone says the second year is worse, I hope that isn't true as i will not cope if it is.
A couple of breakdowns and distress calls sent to my mentor but i like the way it has gone. ( lucky to have a mentor )

I ended the year with 90lbs of osr and 200+lbs of summer honey and 14 hives going into winter and 200 ish drawn frames. not bad for the first try.( nothing compared to some i know )
Some will make it through but i do have a few that concern me. I expect 3 to fail over winter due to colony numbers and their reluctance to build up. ( A couple ruined by sprays )

Most have had 16 pints of feed but they haven't gained weight like they should due to being so active. They won't take syrup now.
Fondant and insulation ready to go on.
I've done my best as far as the books go but found advice lacking regarding any other actions.
My main mistake has been leaving varroa control too late due mainly to work and being ill. Hard when you work full time and have hospital appointments. Things always ruin your plans.
I have one hive with heavy varroa and a lot of DWV, must have killed 2k mites on that hive but it was a swarm caught from the abandoned hive post i did a few weeks ago. The rest have no signs of DWV but I'm not daft enough to think they have low varroa.

All in all i am hopeful as to what will happen next year. I just wish some people would be more helpful rather than trying to be condescending towards new beeks. You will get lonely if new beeks don't come through here.

Some have so much knowledge they could pass on and help us new beekeepers but it seems they would rather be cryptic and superior in their attitudes to others rather then help. It's not a points scoring game it's about the bees.

On the whole i love keeping bees but wow it is a learning curve. The hardest thing is thinking a month ahead all the time.
I do hope i come through winter with minor losses, if not I will blame myself but a lot is down to my inexperience.

I wish i had started years ago before i was scrap lol.

sry drunk and in pain at time of posting.

In my experience Nigel the 2nd year can be a difficult one and I would recommend you reduce your numbers by combining a few of the weaker hives in the spring. I don't know how you went from 2 - 16 and managed a honey crop but guess you ran around collecting swarms along with the abandoned hives you picked up. Swarms often come from swarmy bees who just love to swarm so I would also recommend think about requeening some of your hives with queens from a good UK based, not imported queens so they will only be available mid season so going forward your third year may be a perfect year.

Last edited:
In my experience Nigel the 2nd year can be a difficult one and I would recommend you reduce your numbers by combining a few of the weaker hives in the spring. I don't know how you went from 2 - 16 and managed a honey crop but guess you ran around collecting swarms along with the abandoned hives you picked up. Swarms often come from swarmy bees who just love to swarm so I would also recommend think about requeening some of your hives with queens from a good UK based, not imported queens so they will only be available mid season so going forward your third year may be a perfect year.

I agree with Tom Bick completely. My second year was one of swarming which I was too inexperienced to control properly. Last year was my third as a beekeeper. I controlled the swarming but lost too many queens through poor handling and I wasn't skilled enough to raise my own. I had to buy them in which was expensive. This year I controlled swarming and raised enough queens to have a couple of strong nucs spare at the end of the season. I would also recommend reducing your number of colonies otherwise you will probably double your numbers by the end of next May. Good luck.

With that increase I reckon you will have just under 100 hives next year.....good luck with that! Yes it was an incredible year in some parts of the country. I personally have never had a honey crop even close to the amount I took this year. I have given many swarms away and too ran out of kit. But be prepared, it is not always like this. I have had years when honey yield has been so small there was barely enough for the bees so always keep enough to keep you going for two years.
The most important thing you need to do is work out exactly how many hives you want to go into a winter with. Let's say 10, then whatever it takes you must reduce your hive count down to that number by selling, combining, giving, whatever......
Trust me that is the only way to go, you need to base that number on the amount of spare kit you have for the following year, eg you need double the amount of hives or a different method of swarm control to reduce the increase. Plus a few spares for swarm call outs. Build up a group of local people who will take bees off you if you get over run.
Well done and good luck for next year. The reason they say the second year is worse than the first is generally you start of with a small hive in the summer of your first year, in your second year that hive will probably be up to full strength by the same time so you have to be on your toes for swarm control and spring crops!
E

Only caught one swarm. The abandoned hives belong to a beefarmer.

I have no idea how either it has been a blur and quite glad it is over.
Went from 2 to 5 when the farmer bought 2 and I bought another colony.
So it was 5 to 16 then down to 14 in the end after uniting some.

It should be 16 including 2 nucs not 16 + 2 nucs sry i was a bit wobbly when i posted it.

Hi Nige,
The reason beeks say the second year is the worst is that you are supposed to start with a colony or colonies with young queens and bees of non-swarmy character - the 'they don't swarm in the first year brigade'. However, swarming was not your issue this year, but it could be next year. The only way to reduce the workload is to reduce the numbers, as stated above. You have done extremely well, now you 'just' have to sell the honey to get some money back.
I have had a well paced and just about interesting year getting to know my bees better, but I would concur that varroa has/is my main problem. The jury is still out on that one.
Good luck for next season and not for lack of treatment.

A beefarmer abandoned was it nine hives? I that’s hard to imaging but strange things happen and you know more about that situation than me.

Perhaps an over enthusiastic hobbyist that simply gave up after a few years. Either way it was your gain and despite obvious problems the hives would present I wish it was me.

Good luck with next year.

A beefarmer abandoned was it nine hives? I that’s hard to imaging but strange things happen and you know more about that situation than me.

Perhaps an over enthusiastic hobbyist that simply gave up after a few years. Either way it was your gain and despite obvious problems the hives would present I wish it was me.

Good luck with next year.

The bee inspector said they weren't abandoned when i contacted him but he was going to call in and have a look himself at the state of them.

I have treated the bees just left it a little late i guess. Should have done it as soon as i took the honey off but ran out of hours in the day.
I've only seen one hive expelling bees or carrying them away due to disease.

Next spring 2 hives have been marked for death lol they are aggressive so when their numbers are low and i can find the queen she is going to be squished.

Last edited:
As others have said, I think it's important to reduce your number of colonies. Routine practice starting in late April is weekly inspections for signs of swarming. If you find queen cells then most beeks practice some method of swarm control (I assume you have a good textbook of beekeeping to refer to). This in turn requires extra kit ie. brood box, floor, roof, frames, foundation et al - unless you do a Demaree which needs only an extra bb) to accommodate the artificial swarm. With 16 colonies you might need a garage and lottery win to buy in that lot. Some beeks of course don't practice swarm control but then the colony loses half its bees and most of the potential harvest.
On a brighter note: beekeeping becomes much more enjoyable in retirement - I can pop up to the apiary and have a fiddle most days.

Nige,
This was my third year and despite the weather creating more work than normal it is a good thing - I started in the wet year of 2012 followed by the cold spring of 2013 and I know what I would take!
I have found each year to be less stressful but that's more to do with trusting the bees and realising my interventions are only necessary at a few key times. Mine all went swarm crazy at end of April and I made sure I was on the ball at the most crucial time. Once they settled down I chilled out more especially knowing that the flow was great.
With work and young family I know I will need to cut back a bit next year. At first I stuck my head in sand thinking I will cope but now realise I need to be sensible. And if I get more free time in the future can soon build numbers up again as you well know!
So my 3 year advice is to be honest and realistic in what you can achieve and relax and enjoy your bees.
You should also be proud of what you've achieved even if it has given you grey hairs!

]
I've spoken to lot of beekeepers and this year has been unusual to most.
Swarms have been ridiculous compared to other years and vorroa have gone mad.
I have no other years to compare it to but it has been a baptism of fire.
The amount of equipment i needed has wiped me out and the stress has been terrible.
The course didn't warn me of this , lol.

Went from 2 to 5 to ? to 16 +2 nucs some failed some didn't.
Everyone says the second year is worse, I hope that isn't true as i will not cope if it is.
A couple of breakdowns and distress calls sent to my mentor but i like the way it has gone. ( lucky to have a mentor )

I ended the year with 90lbs of osr and 200+lbs of summer honey and 14 hives going into winter and 200 ish drawn frames. not bad for the first try.( nothing compared to some i know )
Some will make it through but i do have a few that concern me. I expect 3 to fail over winter due to colony numbers and their reluctance to build up. ( A couple ruined by sprays )

Most have had 16 pints of feed but they haven't gained weight like they should due to being so active. They won't take syrup now.
Fondant and insulation ready to go on.
I've done my best as far as the books go but found advice lacking regarding any other actions.
My main mistake has been leaving varroa control too late due mainly to work and being ill. Hard when you work full time and have hospital appointments. Things always ruin your plans.
I have one hive with heavy varroa and a lot of DWV, must have killed 2k mites on that hive but it was a swarm caught from the abandoned hive post i did a few weeks ago. The rest have no signs of DWV but I'm not daft enough to think they have low varroa.

All in all i am hopeful as to what will happen next year. I just wish some people would be more helpful rather than trying to be condescending towards new beeks. You will get lonely if new beeks don't come through here.

Some have so much knowledge they could pass on and help us new beekeepers but it seems they would rather be cryptic and superior in their attitudes to others rather then help. It's not a points scoring game it's about the bees.

On the whole i love keeping bees but wow it is a learning curve. The hardest thing is thinking a month ahead all the time.
I do hope i come through winter with minor losses, if not I will blame myself but a lot is down to my inexperience.

I wish i had started years ago before i was scrap lol.

sry drunk and in pain at time of posting.

I agree! ;) thou there is a few who have helped me at times.

Good thread and I'm pleased to see other first year beeks have done very good in their first season. Me, I've loved every min of this year even though it hasn't gone to plan or been as fruitful as yours but hopefully next year it will. I know one thing, I'll be a better beek next year because of it. As for my own honey production, I've 1 jar hidden away in the kitchen and don't take it as often as the bought honey, its like I'm holding onto it for dear life. I don't even let the kids know where it is because I know if I do, the jar will be licked dry by them in not time time. Hopefully next year I'll have more to go round.

As for over the winter, any extra money I get I'll be making up more hives so I'm well prepared for next season and when Christmas time arrives, my parents/grand parents/misses and kids have been told that forget about new socks/underwear/jammies that I never wear/after shave etc.. and order me new frames with wax/QEs etc.. So hopefully I'll have a few hundred frames waiting for me come DEC 25th:party: All I'll need come spring is another overwintered nuc or 2 to go with what I have now and TBH, spring can't come quick enough

Last edited:
:iagree:
Nige,
This was my third year and despite the weather creating more work than normal it is a good thing - I started in the wet year of 2012 followed by the cold spring of 2013 and I know what I would take!
I have found each year to be less stressful but that's more to do with trusting the bees and realising my interventions are only necessary at a few key times. Mine all went swarm crazy at end of April and I made sure I was on the ball at the most crucial time. Once they settled down I chilled out more especially knowing that the flow was great.
With work and young family I know I will need to cut back a bit next year. At first I stuck my head in sand thinking I will cope but now realise I need to be sensible. And if I get more free time in the future can soon build numbers up again as you well know!
So my 3 year advice is to be honest and realistic in what you can achieve and relax and enjoy your bees.
You should also be proud of what you've achieved even if it has given you grey hairs!
My 3rd year as well and in general have much prefered the weather this year to the two previous ones. I've had a bit of an up and down year and have made to many silly mistakes to mention or want to mention but am looking forward to the furture and whatever comes my way and vow to be better to my poor bees next year, that's after all the anxiety of wondering if they'll survive the winter! happy beekeeping

:iagree:
My 3rd year as well and in general have much prefered the weather this year to the two previous ones. I've had a bit of an up and down year and have made to many silly mistakes to mention or want to mention but am looking forward to the furture and whatever comes my way and vow to be better to my poor bees next year, that's after all the anxiety of wondering if they'll survive the winter! happy beekeeping

Please tell us. I'm curious to know just incase I encounter them next year.

My worry is that we won't see a year like that for a while and so we first-years are going to be disappointed from now on. Having said that, we should have great colonies going into next year.

My worry is that we won't see a year like that for a while and so we first-years are going to be disappointed from now on. Having said that, we should have great colonies going into next year.

I was thinking the same about the weather. What a year to start off in and the following years will be all downhill :(

I personally have never had a honey crop even close to the amount I took this year

Enrico
ditto. My theory is that the subsoil was soaked when all the local Limes came into flower which contributed to a 'perfect storm' as it was also hot and sunny.

A guy I was speaking to who has kept bees for 40 years reckons by his records every ten years you get 5 average years, 3 shocking years and 2 exceptional years.
Since I started I reckon 2012 (shocking), 2013 (Average), 2014 (exceptional). Who's going to be bold and predict next year?

A guy I was speaking to who has kept bees for 40 years reckons by his records every ten years you get 5 average years, 3 shocking years and 2 exceptional years.
Since I started I reckon 2012 (shocking), 2013 (Average), 2014 (exceptional). Who's going to be bold and predict next year?

I've heard its more like 3 bad years, 2 good years and 1 average for a 6 year period, I should put away my kit for a few years if this is true :(

Latest posts

Back