My first use of Apiguard help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great Ivor, thanks for clarifying. I'm sure he's right when he says that there probably aren't more bees than in a normal hive - it's just faintly worrying to see so many in a small box!

He did say that Apiguard worked better just using the brood chamber though.

It's certainly size dependent. Consider the dilution effect if there were several boxes in a stack.

While I do not directly recommend Hivemaker's thymol remedy, and it's use, to anyone, that is what I am using; but I do 'adjust' the dose dependent on box size. < If there were to be any problem, it is not my fault if they choose to go that route. >

I use the folded up kitchen towel approach but am always seeking a practical alternative with a higher absorption/volume ratio. One just needs to carefully think through what one is doing.

Regards, RAB

I know what you mean but at this time of year they aren't going to go anywhere so I'm sure they will be fine. They have also got the room in the eke.

Whatever, I'm going on holiday next week which is probably for the best as I won't be able to sit, watch and worry!!

I'm going to ask my bee inspector a similar question today about 'crowding out' and whether to keep supers on or not during Apiguard so I'll let you know what he says.

One thought occurred to me while reading your thread which is why bother to extract the honey if you intend to give it back to the bees? Why not just keep the frames aside (well protected against robbing) and put them back when you are ready?

If the honey is going back to the bees, not only do you not need to extract it, neither do you need to remove the super above the brood box as the thymol contaminated honey in it can be left where it is. Later, when the weather is about to get somewhat colder, you would be well advised to place the super below the brood box too, with or without the Q/E as you feel fit.

Latest posts

Back