My first Swarm Collection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTrueman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My first Swarm Collection/Bee removal

I have had my first call for swarm collection. It’s not a typical “they are hanging off my tree” type call. The person has gone to have a loft conversion and the builder had a surprise when he lifted the insulation!

Now my gut feeling is it may not be honey bees and may also not be accessible, but the guy has ensured me that they are not wasps!

Just wondering what you guys think the chances are of them bee honey bees?

I have also been thinking what I should take with me? As it is indoor I guess smoke is out :D and I will use a water sprayer. What do you guys put in the bottle is it very light syrup mix?

I know I am very new to all this but my feeling is I will just take a look and make up my mind from there…At the end of the day I don’t really have to do anything if I don’t like the situation.

If it looks easy, my plan is the following:
If I can get at the comb I will get as much out as I can with as many bees as I can and get them in a travel box. Check if anyone is fanning and wait to see if any flying bees are going to new box. Then maybe leave for 24hrs and collect later.

My concerns are where the loft entrance is, with regards to flying bees etc.

I’m I mad!?

Last edited:
I have had my first call for swarm collection. It’s not a typical “they are hanging off my tree” type call. The person has gone to have a loft conversion and the builder had a surprise when he lifted the insulation!

If they are honey bees you are not talking about swarm collection. This is colony removal and is an altogether much more difficult job as the colony will be established.

Well I think it is worth a look. I do understand it maybe a very difficult job and I may walk away, but on the other hand they could all be sat nicely on wild comb in a disused water tank.

Worth a look mate. Then if it looks too much for you get someone else to give you a hand. As you said you can walk away, but by the sounds they are going to have to be removed if they are having building work done.

Well I wasn't too hopeful but as it was only down the road so I had a look.

What did I find!

Bumble Bees :ack2:

I thought it would be wasps or a nest in the cavity but didn’t expect Mr Bumble!

Owner was only having loft insulation fitted so I advised him to leave the bees alone which he was happy to do.

All good experience ....still learning :D

the way i deal with lofts is very simple and i know it works i have done three so far this week,

put a dust sheet down on carpet to keep it clean climb into loft
once inside loft either shut trap or use second dust sheet to completly cover trap, hand stapler use if needed.
once shut in loft shine torch or light to find nest.
expose nest enough to see what you have small or large entangled or clear.
the queen will have bean at best guess towards lower part of nest if you can see her great but i have never found her in poor light cramed in a corner of a loft,
put dust sheet down under nest if possible to see were thet land
if smallcut comb from roof and using elastic bands fix into empty frame and insert into nuc box when all comb is in brood box shut lid and leave bottom entrance open go down stairs drink many cups of tea and wait for the ladies to settle down normaly approx 1 hour
go back to loft shut entrance remove nuc box to loft trap spray every where around nest with nippon powder collect equipment and leave

easy

if on the other hand you have found an existing nest that is completly differant will are now talking of 30,000 plus bees normaly with very bad tempers on line with the biblical plague jobs
so all we want from this lot is some buckets with tight fitting lids and a roll of gaffer tape
as before the brood is the only part we want whole and they are normaly found at the lower half so as before cut out a section elastic band into a frame and carry on till nuc or brood box is full. then the mess starts every thing else is cut off and put in the buckets and i mean everything when the bucket is full bang on lid and wrap with tape if one spills all hell breaks out, when every thing is finished cart all the buckets and the closed nuc to the edge of the loft and cover with a dust sheet , selotape the buttons down on two fly spray cans and leave loft closing lid or use dust sheet readied over buckets leave for 30 minuites climb into loft all will be dead fly spray works best in a enclosed room with every flying around, empty loft of all equipment and leave
time wise short version 30 mins of work 1 hour wait and ten mins work, long version can be over two to three hours if you are dealing with the biggest nest in the world i would suggest you lower the bee numbers with some thing either fly spray half way through or hair spray cheapest one goin works well or leamon spray

Wow Pete..great reply thanks!:cheers2:

It was the flying bees that would have concerned me, I wouldn't have thought about the spraying.

Latest posts

Back