My first question please bee gentle :) Baiting a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I have seen around the other threads that colonies seem to be very strong early this year, so I was wondering if I was to think about baiting a hive to catch a swarm would it be prudent to start earlier say mid April this year??

Thanks guys

Ash

Never too early but you still may get nothing! I find lemon grass oil favourite and a piece of used comb, worth a try though!
E

Nice thanks matey. I'll have a go in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't even leave it that long if I was you. The way colonies are building up so far this year there could be early swarms.
You want a bait hive in position before swarming starts as the scout bees are already checking out new homes before the swarm actually leaves.

Anyone had any luck with this stuff??
[/url]

As per previous answer, old comb and lemon grass oil imho. Don't go wasting money on potential 'snake oil' mixtures.

Ok thanks I shall hunt out some lemongrass oil. I don't have any old comb yet though.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Whatever you do don't mix it up with cirtoenella oil.....very different things!
Get real lemongrass oil and not any type of substitute. 3 drops on the top of a bar is enough... Honestly, and it melts poly hives.
Oh, and don't leave bottle in your pocket when inspecting bees! Trust me, !!!
E

To be honest I have no idea but I would guess every couple of weeks. You will get lots of bees investigating. You only have a swarm if they stay overnight! Sometimes you may see a couple of hundred in there but they don't stay!
E

Latest posts

Back