My first hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidwd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Any comments welcomed

Two constructive observations.

1. You don't seem to have left much room behind hive and between fence to allow space to work.

2. I'd be careful in way hive is balanced on the blocks. When bees potentially glue supers and you need to twist off I fear you might end up with a mess on the floor.

Apart from that . Bees look busy with full pollen sacks

regards and best wishes.

yes I would agree with all the above. Good luck.

Agreed. Better off with a couple of pot blocks and allow yourself more room behind the hive.
Nice looking bees, good to see them bringing it in.

Ain't bee's awesome!

Few people appreciate the pleasure that can be had simply watching the bee's go about what comes naturally. Welcome to the enlightened, welcome to the fold and enjoy your bee keeping.

All I would add to the sensible and constructive comments already made is that you might want to add a nice comfortable seat a sensible distance from the hive so you can sit out on a sunny day and relax watching the bee's, it's strangely cathartic. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Welcome to the colony!

It has recently been pointed out that many new forum members miss the link to the Beekeeping Directory at the top of every page. I did too.

It's a directory of useful resources (blogs, various types of supplier etc). It isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a definitive list. It is worth a look, though!

Good luck with your bee keeping!

You will need more space at the back, at least for inserting and removing the inspection tray.

You'll get more to see if you give them a landing ("alighting") board at the entrance.
And a see-through crown board is well worth having.

The corner should be good for shelter, but I hope it catches the sun!

Thank you all, for good advice which i shall be following.

David

Hives do not at all need an alighting board, the bees are perfectly happy to land on the front and run down and in.

How many hollow trees have alighting boards added?

PH

Two constructive observations.

1. You don't seem to have left much room behind hive and between fence to allow space to work.

2. I'd be careful in way hive is balanced on the blocks. When bees potentially glue supers and you need to twist off I fear you might end up with a mess on the floor.

Apart from that . Bees look busy with full pollen sacks

regards and best wishes.

Or you could turn the hive 90 degree clockwise to face it into the fence. Probably still enough room to observe the entrance.

The points about the blocks is a good one, though. Make sue they are seated on the ground, too, not the shale.

Thanks guys,

Did my first inspection today, lots of brood in all stages, didnt manage to find the queen though. Some uncapped honey.
I turned the hive from cold way to warm way 3 days ago and they are working on the combs at the front now so all looking good. 3 frames completely full of bees and 1 frame half full of bees.

I dont think i will get a honey crop this year but it would be nice to have a full strong healthy colony before autumn

Hives do not at all need an alighting board, the bees are perfectly happy to land on the front and run down and in.

How many hollow trees have alighting boards added?

PH

:iagree: and if you turn your brood box you can work from the side but change those blocks as they look unstable and if you have a couple of supers on top the whole thing could collapse and you will have a lot of angry bees. bees looking good plenty of stores coming in

Few people appreciate the pleasure that can be had simply watching the bee's go about what comes naturally. Welcome to the enlightened, welcome to the fold and enjoy your bee keeping.

All I would add to the sensible and constructive comments already made is that you might want to add a nice comfortable seat a sensible distance from the hive so you can sit out on a sunny day and relax watching the bee's, it's strangely cathartic. Enjoy!

Watching the bee's what?

I dont think i will get a honey crop this year but it would be nice to have a full strong healthy colony before autumn[/QUOTE]

Do you have information the rest of us are looking for?

I dont think i will get a honey crop this year but it would be nice to have a full strong healthy colony before autumn

Do you have information the rest of us are looking for?[/QUOTE]

A strong queen can out grow your brood box in a couple of weeks and could have 3 supers full of honey so be prepared for this

Redwood - thank you, i did not realise things would happen that quickly! When should i add a super? I have a super with drawn out comb?

Any comments welcomed

3 frames completely full of bees and 1 frame half full of bees.

I take it this was a nuc, recently installed in a full box?

I do hope you have at least a dummy behind the brood nest, and preferably a divider, to optimise their heat retention. With frosts (cold) at night and not necessarily 'that' warm in the daytime they will otherwise be finding it a little daunting to draw comb, keep the hive warm and expand the brood nest.

RAB

Latest posts

Back