My first ever swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corhob

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
3 and 2 Nucs
I was at work today when my wife phone me and said that one of her friends had a swarm in there paddock at the back of there house so left work ( I work for myself ) got home got all the stuff and got my first ever swarm, took it back to my place. it was nearly dinner time so had my dinner . I was going back to work the phone went and the same friend has another swarm in the same tree so of i went picked up my second swarm of the day

A couple of things....try and leave the swarm in your container at the site until evening when all fliers will return.
If the second swarm was much smaller it may well be a cast with a virgin queen....but well done. Collecting swarms always gives me a thrill especially when they are a challenge!
E

The second swarm was bigger the branch of the tree was on the floor

I was at work today when my wife phone me and said that one of her friends had a swarm in there paddock at the back of there house so left work ( I work for myself ) got home got all the stuff and got my first ever swarm, took it back to my place. it was nearly dinner time so had my dinner . I was going back to work the phone went and the same friend has another swarm in the same tree so of i went picked up my second swarm of the day

Haven't inspected my hives in 2 weeks(thou did check the Own) and I'm worried mines might swarm. We've had bad weather for while and didn't want to open but wed is supposed to be decent so will pop them open then. It'll be my first time opening up a hive with so many bees and have to mark and clip my Q, hopefully no QS and everything goes to plan.

You have only seen a swarm when you see it in flight. Then they are truly magnificient

Seen mine swarm last year while standing in a T-shirt and freak out. I was expecting them to come sting de ballix out of me but later found out they don't sting while swarming. Agree with ya thou, a great site to watch

Hi corhob,
Two and counting,,,
The wonders of nature. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back