My first bees, thank you Taff

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foobaamagic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Thanks to Taff, I am now a beekeeper.
Collected a good sized swarm from one of Taffs bait hives yesterday.
We think they have been in there since Tuesday.
I could not believe how busy they have been in such a short time.
They have filled the four drawn combs we had left in there and also hung a huge piece of wild comb from the crown board.
They seem very gentle calm no problems or stress.
Moved them over in to a full size body early afternoon yesterday and put a feeder in.
We didn't spot the queen in the transfer or find any signs of laying but they seem to be quite happy.
I left the wild comb in a eke above the crown board to allow them to bring the stores down.

In at the deep end and all I am off to pick up a nuc I ordered this afternoon.
So from no colonies to 2 in a matter of a weekend.

Taff has got some photos to follow

I think Taff said it is likely a (good sized) cast, so a virgin queen, hence no brooding yet?

Just an observation and this is for your future reference. Don't change them over mid-afternoon if you suspect a virgin queen. She may have been out having a party! Probably not, but something to remember, and consider, next time.

Congratulations on becoming a beekeeper and good luck with your bees.

Regards, RAB

no problems mate, you've got a nice swarm there.

photo's were up last night in this thread here :hurray::hurray:

I think Taff said it is likely a (good sized) cast, so a virgin queen, hence no brooding yet?

Just an observation and this is for your future reference. Don't change them over mid-afternoon if you suspect a virgin queen. She may have been out having a party! Probably not, but something to remember, and consider, next time.

Congratulations on becoming a beekeeper and good luck with your bees.

Regards, RAB

what I said was, we didn't see the queen and although we did have a good look for her we weren't overly concerned because there is a possibility it could be a cast. observation noted :)

Latest posts

Back