My First Attempt at Hive Building

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East Yorks New Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first attempt at hive building, anyone see any obvious flaws.I know it hasnt got a roof on yet , before any wise a*se comments :svengo: Thought I would build a glass crown board as well as a normal one. You know how us first timers want to keep looking in the hive, least I wont be letting the heat out if I have a peek with the glass quilt on. Only a couple of weeks and I should have my nucleus :toetap05:

Thats very good,what timber did you use for the brood box sides ? it does not look like ply,all the pine I can find over 8 inches wants to split.

I will make some plans up for the landing board,mine has an angle that allows the bees to walk straight into the hive rather than having a lip up to the entrance.

Looks good Dave- must have taken you ages
Only thing is if you are leaving your varroa floor on permanently take a look every now and again where the floor abuts against the hive stands landing board- great place for wax moths to hide.
Also quickly make another hive so you are prepared to do an artifical swarm- even nucs can swarm in their first season.

Hi Admin,
The sides are made out of 5" wide pine, biscuit jointed together with the grain in the wood in opposite direction to avoid (well try to) warping.

I could not see the join in the brood box's,good job :cheers2:

Hi Admin,
The timber was jointed and then put through the thicknesser to get the right thickness. hence you cant see the joints unless your very close to the brood box.

Latest posts

Back