My bees have been Tango-ed!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMAE

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm stumped...the bees are bringing in basket loads of florescent orange pollen...and they look like they have been Tango-ed. Any one any ideas? I can't find anything similar on my charts..I'll try to take a picture but batteries flat at the mo.

Many Thanks
AMAE

I have Stephen Hardy's pocket guide. It's a very brief folded (smaller than) A5 guide but has colour ref 'swatches' and a rough flowering order, easy to leave in the tool box.

Fluro orange combined with season/date according to this guide could be:
Asparagus > good match to your description
Dandelion > possible / good
Apple > possible / good
Buttercup/Mustard > possible / good (might be a bit early for this)
Rockrose > possible (might be a bit early for this)
Copper Beach / Broom > possible but richer / darker than described

Thank you Rosti,

I had thought of asparagus...but it's been so cold my spears are only thinking of sticking there noses out! Fairly sure it's not the dandilions..they've been bringing that in for a while now. Apples...maybe but I'll put my money on Buttercups and a better guide.....

Thanks again
AMAE

My bees are coming home looking like yellow/orange powder puffs too, the broom is in full bloom and lots of it this year - if you have any near you that is what it will bee.

I have Stephen Hardy's pocket guide. It's a very brief folded (smaller than) A5 guide but has colour ref 'swatches' and a rough flowering order, easy to leave in the tool box.

Buttercup/Mustard > possible / good (might be a bit early for this)

One of my hives is on a hedgerow and the buttercups have started. Many bees are returning to the hive covered from top to toe in bright yellow pollen.

I was looking through some bees yesterday - deciding what extra supers I will need before doing some extracting. What caught my eye was one cell full of bright red pollen, almost in the centre of a super, otherwise chock-full of honey just awaiting capping. It just stood out as 'odd'. I wasn't surprised; they rarely do that as I expect more than I could imagine can happen inside a beehive......

Regards, RAB

Eureka.....It's Laburnum:hurray:

I've been keeping an eye on my Laburnum and have only seen bumbles on it. I have a field of OSR out the back so maybe they prefer that. I agree that the pollen is bright orange.

The bees have the best part of a mile to the nearest OSR, so maybe that's why they have done some Laburnum.....

Latest posts

Back