My bees are still flying.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been out to check my hives and they are still flying.

picture.php

Mine were flying well yesterday afternoon,still bringing back pollen,but only the hives in the sun.

That must hurt your back Admin.

I must admit that it does.

I have some stands made up to use in a couple of weeks when I pull the hives forward.

Thats a nice number out and about too.

Does that one face South ?

hi admin,one of my hives(a strong one)still got drones trying to get in,a few dead ones outside.
nice new hive you got in the photo,whats the blue square on it? is it an aid to stop drifting?
:music-smiley-008:

hi admin,one of my hives(a strong one)still got drones trying to get in,a few dead ones outside.
nice new hive you got in the photo,whats the blue square on it? is it an aid to stop drifting?
:music-smiley-008:

The blue square is laminated paper.

I think it does help to stop drifting but its main use is that I have 6 hives in the row and I find it better to call that hive "The blue square" rather than 3rd hive from the left.

You can get a laminator and a pack of coloured cards from Partners Staples etc for under ?20.

so the blue square is there to stop you drifting....

Ive done something similar, given each hive the name of a flower, i was also thinking about placing a sticker or a blob of paint on the equipment which belongs to that one colony, so i avoid cross useage.

Have yet to decide what i will do.

Does anyone else do this ? or is it just Admin & I.

I number my hives with a marker pen.

For a few days before I put a nuc in a shed this autumn (sorry fall for you N Americans!) I stuck a white triangle on the brown wood of the nuc and then put the triangle above the hole in the shed wall after I moved them to help them find the correct spot easily. Not sure if it did any good. The triangle blew away a few days later in any case.

I've "branded" my hive bits with a red hot nail:-
F1 = floor hive 1
OMF 1
EB 1 entrance block.
B 1 Brood 1
R 1 Roof Have not bothered with supers yet because they are all new and will be marked as they are added. Pictures later if I can work out how to post them:)

Hy MJBee.

When you want to add a picture just click the little paperclip in the top line of the posting box and point to the picture on your computer and click upload.

Latest posts

Back