my bees 8th Dec in London

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebhoy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thought I would upload a pic or two of my bees this morning enjoying today' 'warm' weather in London.

Around 9 degrees

The boards had been put down to give them a bigger landing board as they had been landing on grass in colder weather and being overcome by the cold and wet.

1460977_10202691547672568_628829202_n.jpg

1470272_10202691547552565_124628618_n.jpg

1463654_10202691547592566_1819808122_n.jpg

Very similar here in the frozen north 9 degrees , sunny , the bees are going ballistic. ,
Mahonia in both mine and my neighbours gardens are being foraged :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice to see the comparison between original and new-style Paynes roofs!

Overwintering on 14x12-and-a-half is massive enough, but it looks as though the one in the middle is double brood 14x12 (and a half, plus an insulation super) which is kinda gigantic!
What are you planning to do in Spring?

/ my lot are also having a big day out ...

Thank you for the pictures, mine are the same, I was a little worried at first as the weather is still a little cool, but I am now happier that the bees are conforming to the norm

Hi Itma,

The one in the middle is a double 14 x 12....I had delayed in taking supers off (four) and then tried getting them down to just the BB's but were so many bees in the supers (initially thought the cluster had moved up there until I lifted them off and seen how packed the bb's were :) ) Had taken two off a couple of weeks ago then I went in on Monday this week, took off another and put the crown board under the poly super to get them to move down and also take more stores into BB's. Have super above CB for insulation.

Hopefully they get through to spring ok and will possible move them into Poly hives and maybe add another BB. They are very calm and hard working bees so plan to raise some more queens from them next year.

The other two are on single 14 x 12's with super of insulation on each and yes, have the different roofs from Pay*** ....... One of these is a queen raised from the big hive queen.....has same traits...works in all weathers.

Big hive still has drones quite active in this weather.

Hi Swarm,

yes, it is difficult to inspect the big one, especially when it had four supers on top but, like anything else, we find a way and get on with it :) (usually on here asking for advice though :) )

Initially only had the one hive there ...it is in my garden, and hadn't planned on having the 3 but ended up with them and two other nucs such is the joy of keeping bees.

I need to find an out apiary for next year...with a bit more space.

Hi Swarm,

yes, it is difficult to inspect the big one, especially when it had four supers on top but, like anything else, we find a way and get on with it :) (usually on here asking for advice though :) )

Initially only had the one hive there ...it is in my garden, and hadn't planned on having the 3 but ended up with them and two other nucs such is the joy of keeping bees.

I need to find an out apiary for next year...with a bit more space.

Hi thebhoy
The bees look in great shape
How would you describe your bees are they part carniolan or italian or something else ?
As I used to live in Chingford I'm just being nosey :)

Hi TDR,

the queen is supposed to be a Buckfast Queen, I bought her in mid / late 2012.
Was from imported stock that then had queens bred from them which were open mated by the UK supplier.

So although bought as a Buckfast I don't know for sure.

This colony were quite small in winter last year and I wasn't sure they would make it, also had high varroa and I was treating in early 2013 with api**var directly over cluster /brood whilst giving candy......then they just took off and expanded way over another colony that was in a poly hive next to them and was quite strong.

I had a similar surprise out near Heathrow this afternoon. Thought as it was a nice day a trip to check on the five hives at that site and the air was full of bees it was lovely to see I walked away three times but just kept going back to watch them a bit longer.

Thebhoy I think I recognise the floor on the hive and if you got your queen from the same person who made it then his queens are reported to be as good as his hives.

Hi Tom,

No, got the queen from a different supplier :) , very helpful and nice to do business with.
Although if his queens are as good as his hives and his customer service then they must be good for sure.

Yes was nice today, had the mother-in-law thinking they were swarming as there was so many out.......

Have two nucs that I keep bringing indoors to keep warm, it was good for them to get out for a fly around also.

Hi the bhoy,
My bees also manic today, orientation flights, lots of fluffy bees, a bit of foraging and god knows what else. Can you please expand on taking your nucs indoors. Got one, lost one last year and worry about cold climes!

Hi the bhoy,
My bees also manic today, orientation flights, lots of fluffy bees, a bit of foraging and god knows what else.

Not here in Suffolk. Sunny and about 9C. Hives in the sun. At noon only 2/7 hives showing activity. Should I worry/be envious of all the above? - no, over the years I'm becoming less neurotic about my hives' wellbeing especially in winter. Maybe the activity observed by others above was robbing from a nearby apiary :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Hi Beano,

This doesn't go down well with the other half LOL

Have two nucs....were four frame nucs but appear to have taken a hit after I had treated them for varroa...one queen from 2012 and one from July this year.

Long story short....

have them in Pa**** 14 x 12 poly nucs, 4 frames each but now covering 2 in cold weather.
Added a frame which I attached plastic bags as 'pockets' with candy and Neopoll.
Bring them indoors in the cold weather and overnight...if weather is ok, like today, I take them out again so they can have a fly around :) , I also give them a 1+1 syrup feed outside their entrance, this is quickly collected and as they will be indoors there is no worries about it being too cold to do anything with it.
The poly hives have clear plastic crownboards........TAPE THESE ON before bringing them in, you can then open and check how they are doing. Also ensure the entrance is closed.

Don't know if this will help them to survive the winter but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Did I say short? lol

Hi the bhoy,
My bees also manic today, orientation flights, lots of fluffy bees, a bit of foraging and god knows what else.

Not here in Suffolk. Sunny and about 9C. Hives in the sun. At noon only 2/7 hives showing activity. Should I worry/be envious of all the above? - no, over the years I'm becoming less neurotic about my hives' wellbeing especially in winter. Maybe the activity observed by others above was robbing from a nearby apiary :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Hi Amari,
I would be much happier if my bees did what they did this time last year i.e. cluster, so that they would be ready for OA... in January. Christmas is out IMHO for us Southerners!

Latest posts

Back