My Beehaus - BLOG

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI ALL

Well I have taken the plunge! My new beehaus is winging its way to me.

I will be making detailed postings, photos and maybe the odd movie or two. (Hedgrow Pete style - if I can work out how to do it!)

As has already been noted some do not like the idea of the beehaus, but please do not reduce this thread to a knocking of Omlet or the beehaus!

I will be simply posting my real life experience of using the beehaus, and running it along side traditional cedar national hives.

J

Last edited:
Good luck! I'm thinking of starting bee keeping as a hobby and to give the local flowers a helping hand, and I would be very interested to read your thoughts about how the beehaus would work for the inexperienced beek.

well done Jim !! It will be interesting to see how you get on.

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say Jim and will follow you reports with interest.

I am away on holiday from this weekend for 2 weeks, the beehaus will arrive whilst I am off.

SO first reports will be of my un-packing and building? of the system 1st week of September.

And the first "hands on" review of the beehaus for the forum.

Jim

I never even seen a beehaus till I looked it up after hearing of it here, and to be honest, I'm intrigued!!! Really interested how this goes for you, if it has sucess, maybe aproach omlet for endorsments!!!LOL!
Seriously, good luck!

Will be interesting to get a proper review.:iagree:

Not sure why you have bought it now given you won't really get you hands on it until September. Is the blog for the first 6 months going to be a description of how the hive weathers?

I'm not being negative as I support what the Omlet folk have done - inject (in more sense than one) something new into British beekeeping. Which is long overdue - with luck we might move out of the 1940's into the 50's.

When new beekeepers stop saying they've just bought a wooden National I'll know we've arrived in this century.

Not sure why you have bought it now given you won't really get you hands on it until September.

Last time I looked at a calander, September is is only 2 weeks away! As listed about I am away for the next two weeks, therfore I have bought it, but delivery is not due until while I am away, hence the ordering now!

The blog is not just going to be how nice it looks in the garden for the next 6 months, as listed above! I will be adding bees ASAP and comparing this with the cedar national hives.

£10 to listen to you all afternoon !

Only teasing Jim..

You lot get me for free, some might pay to shut me up!:cheers2:

Just wait until the videos come out:svengo:

Please note all money raised goes to Honey bee development.

Would you take a grumpy old guest who only wants an 'omlette' taster course, not a 'beekeeping' one?

Now, what was your addy again? Might just pop up to check your post while you are away! Wouldn't want anything left out in the rain, it might get wet!!

Perhaps I should just call in on Robin, next time I am passing nearby. He must have one with bees in by now but is probably hidden away still (the three foot rule, and all that). I have had a personal invite (but that was while the Dartington ruled supreme).

Regards, RAB

Would you take a grumpy old guest who only wants an 'omlette' taster course, not a 'beekeeping' one?

Hi Richard

YES, I am running them as both taster for bees and taster to the beehaus. But go easy on me, the beehaus will still be new to me as well!

We can aslo chat about Listers!

Will be nice to see some forum other members.

Well i have just been manning the beekeeping stand at the Shrewsbury Flower Show - lots of interest. The Omlet Beehaus has certainly captured people's imagination. I think a lot of ordinary people have been toying with the idea of bees and omlet being in the news gives them an opening question.
Trouble is we know very little cause we have not seen one in the flesh so will be very interested to see how jim gets on.
The conversation usually then turned to how much you can start beekeeping for. Now if they were still interested which they all were i would tell them to get in touch with their local association soon and actually get hands on with some beehives, read a couple of books and if they still interested they can start preparing to start next spring. Seems like we have quite a few potential members and others I have directed to their local associations. My impression is its not because its trendy but more an environmental interest and concern

Its has arrived

Well I am back all nice an tanned and post'ie turned up this morning with some vary large boxes for me

Quickly like all my birthdays and Christmases at once the boxes where ripped open and contents spread all over the place.

DSCN1061.jpg

Construction was very quick, only really needing the legs fixing on to make the main hive. Suppers just required 2 bolts (2 per side) to build them up.

It is all very well made and lots of very nice features.

I will add some more detail later; I just wanted to now for post the first opening of it.

Last edited:
:lurk5:

One of those would look great on the flat roof near my office, I wonder if the boss would buy it for me?

I think they look good, will be monitoring your thread with interest.

Shame you're not a little closer as I would have been interested in the Beehaus taster session :)

Last edited:
Nice post Jim,welcome back.

I bet you were like a kid at xmas last night,you could not wait to open the boxes..

Hi Jim,
count me out :toetap05:.
I'm not into mountaineering ,especially clad in a space suit :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014.
Seriously, I look forwards to your exploit although it'll have to be good to justify the expence.

I have no axe to grind ref the hive , it's the sales pitch that worries me(know what I mean anyone, anywhere ,no probs etc.)
I have noticed that they have added cautionary content to their web site ,which has got to be a good thing .

John Wilkinson

Back