My bee bee tree flowers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The flowers are finally open and the bees have found them

Attachments

• 20200806_140325.jpg
    20200806_140325.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200806_140128.jpg
    20200806_140128.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 39
I have planted a bee bee tree . I think it may start to flower long after I am gone!!!!!!

The clue is in the title!!!!!!!!:laughing-smiley-014
OK clever clogs
Latin name?
Do you mean Tetradium danielli? Which is called a Bee-Bee tree?
I planted two in one of our fields six years ago and they have both grown about two feet!
I found an Aralia spinosa in my sis-in-law's garden and took a cutting. This is also known as a Bee tree.
This was planted in the island in the pond where it has taken over entirely and blooms like mad. It's invasive but ever so nicely so :)

I'm not holding my breath waiting for my little evodium/a "bee tree" to flower! No idea how big they have to grow first. But I like the scent of the plant in the meantime.
- Looking them up, I think this is the same thing. How old is yours JohnG?

OK clever clogs
Latin name?
Do you mean Tetradium danielli? Which is called a Bee-Bee tree?
I planted two in one of our fields six years ago and they have both grown about two feet!
I found an Aralia spinosa in my sis-in-law's garden and took a cutting. This is also known as a Bee tree.
This was planted in the island in the pond where it has taken over entirely and blooms like mad. It's invasive but ever so nicely so :)
Ours is the tetradium. It grew two inches this year! In our old house we had loads of the other one, we called it the devil's walking stick. It does spread but never gets too tall. Haven't got any of that now!

Well, that's disappointing about the Tetradium. I've just planted one. It seems, for my grandchildren to enjoy!

Since my 50th birthday ...Have each winter planted a tree for each year of my age....
Last year 63 trees....
Some of the Tetradiums are growing well some make very slow growth...No explanation...
Have found Cherry...Bird Cherry...Hawthorn...cheap to buy as hedging whips or easy to grow from seed....
Holly is brilliant and fairly easy to take cuttings at this time of year..find female trees for the berries...
All willow species are easy to propagate from cuttings and have a long flowering season with all the different varieties...
Deer are a big problem but do not seem to like Cherry or Bird Cherry...
Everyone knows some wild abandoned land...
And even we bee farmers can find some spare time in the winter for planting...

I'm not holding my breath waiting for my little evodium/a "bee tree" to flower! No idea how big they have to grow first. But I like the scent of the plant in the meantime.
- Looking them up, I think this is the same thing. How old is yours JohnG?
Give or take it's time in the nursery my son bought from at 3 feet tall. Its had about 5 years in the present location. He bought me two and one is about 12 feet tall while the other is only about 8. Both are in flower. I also bought a rubinia a couple of years ago. Planted out and left to get its roots into the ground. Its managed to start growing better this year and now stands about 4 feet tall.

I'll encourage mine to keep going.
- I also have tree seedlings on the go that are going to need to be taken on by others' grandchildren, if the trees survive infancy, as I can't resist propagating trees, so this sounds a short time in comparison, whether I see the blossom or not!

I also have 2 Tetradium Danielli, (Evodia)bought 4 years ago from Burncoose nurseries.
One was planted on top of a soak away, the other not. They have both been heavily mucked.
Although both are going to flower soon, I am in North Wales, the soak away one is 8 feet tall and the other around 5.
So, the secret appears to be ready access to water and heavy mucking.

Deer are a big problem but do not seem to like Cherry or Bird Cherry...

When I pollinated apples commercially, the orchard had problems with deer. Imagine with 600+ acres of trees. They used hotel size bars of Ivory soap hung from the lower branches in problem areas.

If again deer got after our orchard.. in desperation I will try the soap You mention.. One winter I believe herd of about hundred massacre our orchard.. But seems due overpopulation some parasite reduce their number. I was thinking to abandon the whole property, due to hundreds of fruit trees destroyed and hunters had hands got tied due to law regulations. But luckily seems nature with parasites will humble them down.. Imagine You nurture some for years and got torn down, not due to hunger, but due to bestiality.. Cause there is abundance of food around the fence, but no, they have to destroy the young plants we grow with love..

Goran, the orchard also permits a limited number of hunters onto the property to cull some of the herd and limit overpopulation
Well, at my place not. They can scare them off, but killing only 5 per hunter association per year. I placed even some loud speakers and playing screaming sounds from hunting.. Believe me they were wrecking fruit trees around these speakers.. Such a devilish creatures.. Simple mathematics, if these days hinds bring two fawns.. I am in deep s..t.. But parasites are my allies in this story. Bad side is roe deer is coping harder with this parasite and is dying more. Also due to such increase of deer population, wolves are starting to appear ( I think last time wolves were here pass more than 100 years). Wolves are not some concern for me for now, bears could come and that will be problem for me ( wrecking hives)..

Well, at my place not. They can scare them off, but killing only 5 per hunter association per year. I placed even some loud speakers and playing screaming sounds from hunting.. Believe me they were wrecking fruit trees around these speakers.. Such a devilish creatures.. Simple mathematics, if these days hinds bring two fawns.. I am in deep s..t.. But parasites are my allies in this story. Bad side is roe deer is coping harder with this parasite and is dying more. Also due to such increase of deer population, wolves are starting to appear ( I think last time wolves were here pass more than 100 years). Wolves are not some concern for me for now, bears could come and that will be problem for me ( wrecking hives)..
Hi Goran, it sounds difficult with the deer. I guess you have already looked into it or tried it, but electric fences? They are used here heaps to keep things in and out.

I've got electric wire on top of fence now. The fence isn't too high, but seems deer first touch it with nose then jump over. After installing the electric wire there were few intrusions. I have over 1km of fence, surrounded with forest.. People told me they watched deer jump over 2m fence from spot. They say fence should be 2,5-3m high.. That is very expensive and time consuming, installing all anew..

Latest posts

Back