Number of Hives
What tree is that?

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have planted a bee bee tree . I think it may start to flower long after I am gone!!!!!!

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The clue is in the title!!!!!!!!:laughing-smiley-014
OK clever clogs
Latin name?
Do you mean Tetradium danielli? Which is called a Bee-Bee tree?
I planted two in one of our fields six years ago and they have both grown about two feet!
I found an Aralia spinosa in my sis-in-law's garden and took a cutting. This is also known as a Bee tree.
This was planted in the island in the pond where it has taken over entirely and blooms like mad. It's invasive but ever so nicely so :)

Fritillary 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
3 TBH + 3 Nat (+ Nucs)
I'm not holding my breath waiting for my little evodium/a "bee tree" to flower! No idea how big they have to grow first. But I like the scent of the plant in the meantime.
- Looking them up, I think this is the same thing. How old is yours JohnG?

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
OK clever clogs
Latin name?
Do you mean Tetradium danielli? Which is called a Bee-Bee tree?
I planted two in one of our fields six years ago and they have both grown about two feet!
I found an Aralia spinosa in my sis-in-law's garden and took a cutting. This is also known as a Bee tree.
This was planted in the island in the pond where it has taken over entirely and blooms like mad. It's invasive but ever so nicely so :)
Ours is the tetradium. It grew two inches this year! In our old house we had loads of the other one, we called it the devil's walking stick. It does spread but never gets too tall. Haven't got any of that now!

OrchardBees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Well, that's disappointing about the Tetradium. I've just planted one. It seems, for my grandchildren to enjoy!

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
More than a hundred...Langstroth Jumbo
Since my 50th birthday ...Have each winter planted a tree for each year of my age....
Last year 63 trees....
Some of the Tetradiums are growing well some make very slow growth...No explanation...
Have found Cherry...Bird Cherry...Hawthorn...cheap to buy as hedging whips or easy to grow from seed....
Holly is brilliant and fairly easy to take cuttings at this time of year..find female trees for the berries...
All willow species are easy to propagate from cuttings and have a long flowering season with all the different varieties...
Deer are a big problem but do not seem to like Cherry or Bird Cherry...
Everyone knows some wild abandoned land...
And even we bee farmers can find some spare time in the winter for planting...

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm not holding my breath waiting for my little evodium/a "bee tree" to flower! No idea how big they have to grow first. But I like the scent of the plant in the meantime.
- Looking them up, I think this is the same thing. How old is yours JohnG?
Give or take it's time in the nursery my son bought from at 3 feet tall. Its had about 5 years in the present location. He bought me two and one is about 12 feet tall while the other is only about 8. Both are in flower. I also bought a rubinia a couple of years ago. Planted out and left to get its roots into the ground. Its managed to start growing better this year and now stands about 4 feet tall.

Fritillary 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
3 TBH + 3 Nat (+ Nucs)
I'll encourage mine to keep going.
- I also have tree seedlings on the go that are going to need to be taken on by others' grandchildren, if the trees survive infancy, as I can't resist propagating trees, so this sounds a short time in comparison, whether I see the blossom or not!

Cefn Eithaf 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I also have 2 Tetradium Danielli, (Evodia)bought 4 years ago from Burncoose nurseries.
One was planted on top of a soak away, the other not. They have both been heavily mucked.
Although both are going to flower soon, I am in North Wales, the soak away one is 8 feet tall and the other around 5.
So, the secret appears to be ready access to water and heavy mucking.

Latest posts