Mustard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amertican mustard - OK for salad dressings and feeding to babies I suppose :D

dont start me off with the americian yellow tomato sauce rubbish:ack2::ack2::ack2:

so apart from english and french mustards does anyone else or another country make it or is it some thing we have sent over to the froggies to follow us in?

Do you have the recipe for that, E0.5B?

Easy Peasy to make

Obviously you can vary the amount of radish to beetroot depending on how strong you want it.

1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8oz grated or processed horseradish
1 pound beetroot, cooked, peeled, cooled and medium (not coarse) grated

Mix together vinegar, brown sugar, horseradish and salt until combined. 

Add beetroot and mix thoroughly. 

Pack into clean sterilized jars and store refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

Ours never lasted that long:)

Went out for a steak last night and inspired by this thread asked for some English. The stuff they brought looked like Dijon, smelt like Dijon and tasted like Dijon. Couldn't persuade them otherwise though they didn't produce the container.

We bought mustard from Chain Bridge Honey farm, and am about to get Willie's book for my b/day, and our guests who have tried it rave about it.

PH

Went out for a steak last night and inspired by this thread asked for some English. The stuff they brought looked like Dijon, smelt like Dijon and tasted like Dijon. Couldn't persuade them otherwise though they didn't produce the container.

English mustard, if it goes out of date, turns darker and tastes like Dijon mustard.
Nipped home lunch time once, only two bits of bread left, made a ham sandwich with the last of the ham but had trouble finding the mustard, eventually found an unopened colemans jar at the back. Smeared it all over the bread and took a bite. ugh! checked the jar 4years out of date!!
No other bread or ham left so spent the next 10 minutes scraping the mustard out of the holes in the bread and washing the ham!
English Mustard is the best mustard as far as I'm concerned, but I only put enough on to taste and not overpower the food.
Wherever in the world my mate goes on holiday his wife carry's a bottle of HP sauce in her handbag for him. Not to be outdone, on a joint holiday to Florida I took a tube of Colemans.
The waitress in a steakhouse noticed the HP and asked for a taste, she squeezed some on her finger and licked it off, "Gee, that's spicy".
She then noticed my mustard and asked for a taste, I said I don't recommend it without something to put it on.
She wouldn't let it rest so I gave her the tube and said enjoy, funniest thing I've ever seen.

Try putting Colemans mustard on a pork chop then grilling, completly changes the taste of the mustard, not even slightly hot, just really tasty.

Try putting Colemans mustard on a pork chop then grilling...

If that's new for you, perhaps you haven't tried slathering a couple of teaspoons over a piece of beef (rub it in) before roasting it.
Or putting some mustard powder in your cheese sauce, rarebit or scones (if you can taste mustard you've put in too much - use it just to lift the cheese flavour). Maybe a teaspoonful per 200g flour, something like that.
Its not as good a vinaigrette emulsifier as lecithin, but it tastes better!

Its not hard to make your own mustard.
Yellow and brown mustard seeds, in whatever proportion you determine, ground as you choose, with vinegar, cider, wine, honey, herbs, spices, fruits, etc according to your whim.
Probably best to start by blending an improvement on a cheap commercial mustard ...

Among French mustards The One to look for is Moutarde de Meaux ...

ITMA,
You obviously know your stuff cos your from Kent.
I didn't mention beef as I'm not sure they can afford it up north and I didn't want it to seem like I was showing off.
Perhaps they could try it on tripe though.

I really want to put a cheeky grin smilie on but I'm at work and they don't work with gas powered pc's

Some of the best pork that I ever had was in Leige many years ago. Someone mentioned smearing a pork joint with mustard to my wife and she tried it.

I swear that it was really good and combined with the fact that in Belgium their pork joints seem to be different (cut or feeding?) I have yet to be able to reproduce the experience fully. yum . . . not worthy

ITMA,
You obviously know your stuff cos your from Kent.
I didn't mention beef as I'm not sure they can afford it up north and I didn't want it to seem like I was showing off.
Perhaps they could try it on tripe though.

I really want to put a cheeky grin smilie on but I'm at work and they don't work with gas powered pc's

aup theres some good bayf up here tha knows :boxing_smiley:

Some of the best pork that I ever had was in Leige many years ago. Someone mentioned smearing a pork joint with mustard to my wife and she tried it.

I swear that it was really good and combined with the fact that in Belgium their pork joints seem to be different (cut or feeding?) I have yet to be able to reproduce the experience fully. yum . . . not worthy

probably because they make their pork out of horses.

I like horse meat, used to eat it all the time abroad, cant get it in the uk for some reason

Do you really like that,one of my sons slaughters around 60 every wednesday,and they go for human consumption,pies ect.

French mustard sucks (sorry). I'm a welsh man through and through and I've got to say English is by far the best.

Bring out the colemans;)

Maille French mustards are good; at one time we always stocked up in France but increasingly Morrison's stocks Maille and Bon Maman. Honey and mustard sauces - made using Maille and own honey - yummy.

Latest posts

Back