Mustard Flower Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all. Just curious to know if anyone has any experience of honey where the bees have foraged extensively on mustard seed, and whether it has distinctive properties (colour, consistency, granulation, taste).

It's just that my late summer honey from my main out-apiary has been very different this year, and I am trying to work out whether mustard (only planted this year, and which the bees went crazy for) may be implicated.

I've tried a quick Google search, but am none the wiser. Thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Brilliant, thanks ... a great article, and just what I wanted. Also tends to align with what I have seen...

”A member of the crucifer or mustard family, this is related to rape or rapeseed"

"typically light colored to mustard yellow"

"Granulating rather rapidly"

... Very different to what has been normally gathered in mid July from this site (usually golden and not prone to granulation), nor, indeed, to what was being gathered prior to the mustard coming into full flower.

The people who live there tell me that, for a period, the sound of the bees on the mustard was "like a jumbo jet".

Remiss of me, but I haven't got round to tasting it yet, so I will be on the lookout for some kind of burn/kick. Could be interesting [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Tastes like, looks like, granulates like and smells like OSR honey. I doubt if many would be able to tell the difference (even the pollen grains look the same).The farm where I keep most of my bees plants loads of it for cover for partidges and pheasants many of which are bred on the farm and makes loads of money charging shooters to come and take potshots at the birds.

Latest posts

Back