Mushrooms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Seeing plenty of mushrooms around at the moment. Anybody know if these are edible?

IMG_20211029_160615.jpgIMG_20211029_160627.jpg

I have a few old stumps from trees I cut down mainly cypress and an ornamental fir and as they decay and small wildlife take over all appear to have sprouted fungi/mushrooms. Also in my managed wild part of the a garden I have noticed some toad stool type fungi growing, these are phallus shaped and the flies are attracted to them so they must stink.

Seeing plenty of mushrooms around at the moment. Anybody know if these are edible?

View attachment 28944View attachment 28943
Ouch....that's a question you should never expect an answer to online. I spent my childhood foraging for mushrooms at every opportunity with my parents and you really do need to see them to be sure.
There's a good FB group here Group

Ouch....that's a question you should never expect an answer to online. I spent my childhood foraging for mushrooms at every opportunity with my parents and you really do need to see them to be sure.
There's a good FB group here Group
Unfortunately I cant view the FB page as I deleted my account years back. We used to pick field mushrooms locally also when I was a kid and they were so good. Had fun with shrooms back in the day also but we wont go into that :D

The problem with wild mushrooms is you really need an expert to be standing in front of them to determine their safety. For instance here's a photo from Wikipedia (full article here: Mushroom poisoning - Wikipedia )

File:Phalloide-Caesarea.JPG - Wikipedia

Both young mushrooms, both look broadly similar, one will kill you the other is okay to eat (To save you looking it up the one on the left Phalloide is also known as the death cap).

Even the puffballs above have to be carefully looked at as the immature version can either be edible puffball or an amanita with it's growth veil still around it.

Les Mémoires d'un tricheur ( Confessions of a Cheat ) - Sacha Guitry

The opening of this Fench novel is along the lines of: The 54-year-old Cheat writes his memoirs in a café. At the age of 12, he is caught stealing money from the family grocery shop. As punishment, he is not allowed to enjoy a treat with the rest of the family: mushrooms which turn out to be poisonous. His parents, siblings, uncle and grandparents all die. His mother's unscrupulous cousin takes charge of him, and uses his inheritance for his own benefit. Thus, it appears to the youngster that dishonesty pays.

On a University course a few years ago I had 2 options. One was a fossil hunt in a quarry and the other was a fungi hunt with a professor who was a 'world renowned expert' on fungii.
I returned in a dishevelled muddy covered state form the quarry to find a fungi hunting student behaving in the most 'odd' manner in the corridor. The professor and 3 of the students had tasted a fungi declared as safe by the 'expert'. The student I witnessed and tried to help, was in the most awful state having hallucinations and believing he could walk on the ceiling and envisioning people as the most terrible montrous creatures.. Whilst we getting help he vomited and voided his other orifaces at the same time. He then became unconscious. Ambulances arrived to take the 4 sufferers away and they returned 48 hours later looking very ill.
I will only pick and eat mushrooms that I know to be our native field and horse mushrooms. We should all be very aware of the dangers of mis-identifying fungii. The version my fellow student had eaten a very small piece of had an effect similar to a nerve agent. Consumption of the whole fungi by one person would probably have led to organ failure and death.

The problem with wild mushrooms is you really need an expert to be standing in front of them to determine their safety. For instance here's a photo from Wikipedia (full article here: Mushroom poisoning - Wikipedia )

File:Phalloide-Caesarea.JPG - Wikipedia

Both young mushrooms, both look broadly similar, one will kill you the other is okay to eat (To save you looking it up the one on the left Phalloide is also known as the death cap).

Even the puffballs above have to be carefully looked at as the immature version can either be edible puffball or an amanita with it's growth veil still around it.
The giant puffball, when ready for picking, cannot be mistaken for anything else.

Found these growing in the orchard gravel track a couple of weeks ago. Google Lens identified them as "Shaggy Mane" and according to Wikipedia they are edible. I wasn't brave enough to try them though - has anyone else eaten this variety/species?

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_154710507.jpg
    IMG_20211020_154710507.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20211020_154702324.jpg
    IMG_20211020_154702324.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 27
Over here.. since I started to walk in forests I learned to pick " Boletus", golden chanterelle and blancaccio. I find a lot of others, but never bothered to try them. We have in our orchard freely grow horse mushroom, but I am not 100% percent sure it is.. For now they thrive and when some who pick and eat them regularly tells me that is horse mushroom I will start to use it..
There were cases when people mixed the parasol mushroom with poisonous ones and end up badly.. I myself wasn't impressed with taste of it and don't pick them.. We have a lot of coral mushrooms in forests but I never picked them and leave them be..

Found these growing in the orchard gravel track a couple of weeks ago. Google Lens identified them as "Shaggy Mane" and according to Wikipedia they are edible. I wasn't brave enough to try them though - has anyone else eaten this variety/species?
Yes, often eaten them, 'shaggy inkcap'. They taste fine - when cooked produce quite a lot of inky water, especially if they are a couple of days old.

Yes, often eaten them, 'shaggy inkcap'. They taste fine - when cooked produce quite a lot of inky water, especially if they are a couple of days old.
Those ones in the picture are too old to eat. Once they have started to ink they should be avoided.
Do not have a glass of wine with them

Latest posts

Back