mushroom id wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 8 year old son has been into fungus for years. He is fascinated with them and can spot them a mile away.....he's a strange boy lol.....but my point is I bought him a book to try and identify them, and the differences can be very slight. Our rule is he can look, but must never touch. A nice specimin though :p

yep these people that can see them let alone id them realy make me jelous. ii can id trees at night in the dark and all sorts of other stuff but mushrooms defeet me every time as i am to scared to pick them in case i get the wrong sort, this puff ball on the over hand tastes lovely with a tin of chicken soup, it will just take me a year to get through it , lol

View attachment 2410

Last edited:
Wow Pete, my boy would love that picture :D Everytime he spots one he makes me take a picture of it on my mobile, it's full of them lol. He did a map of the park last year and marked where he had spotted them. On that one trip we saw 28 different types...well, colouring and size difference. His favourite though is a Birch Polypore, and the ink cap of course, but he gets upset when people kick them over :(

We've got a new allotment in an old walled garden, and lovley button field mushrooms pop up all over the place...yummy!

The pictures look like St George's mushroom, but I wouldn't identify it without seeing the base, stalk and most importantly the gills. Also helpful to know exactly where it was picked (in terms of the soil and plants/trees growing about).
.....it could be yellow stainer mushroom, that if you cut or scrape the stalk shows yellow... Yellow Stainer looks really like field mushroom and horse mushroom, its edible Agaricus cousins, But 1 in 3 people react badly to toxins in Yellow Stainer and can go into a coma!!!:eek:

Back